Best Hardware for Server

Questions and Answers on installation, deployment, management, locking, tranasactions of Servoy Application Server

Which is the best hardware to run Servoy Server?

OSX Dual 2Gig G5s
67%
Intel Dual (same price point as OSX system)
11%
AMD Dual (same price point as OSX system)
22%

Total votes : 9

Best Hardware for Server

Postby karstyn » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:40 am

Assuming I'm buying a new peice of hardware to put Servoy Server on what would be a better choice?

Assume all are approx. in the same price range, so take the price of the OSX box and config the Intel/AMD to that approx. price point.

What are the main areas to consider for best performance. I plan on having the DBs on a different server so this new box, if I go that route, would just be a Servoy Server.

Any performance comparisons out yet?
Karstyn McCoy
karstyn

Postby Jan Aleman » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:58 pm

I assume that you are also talking about the database server here. On average if you look at performance about 90% of it will go to the database server and Servoy Application Server will need about 10% of the power. So if you want good performance you'll have to find out which of the three systems is the fastest in database operations. For database operations disk speed is very important and a lot of memory. Looking at recent benchmarks the three systems you have mentioned are nearly always close to each other one time Mac wins, sometimes Intel wins other times AMD wins. Benchmarking done by us wouldn't make a lot of sense we could adjust the benchmark to let any platform win as many different scenarios are possible when using Servoy:
- how much data?
- how many queries?
- how many concurrent users?
- heavy transactions?
- etc, etc

Internally at Servoy we run on Mac OS X, Windows, Solaris, AIX, FreeBsd and Linux, we havn't noticed significant performance differences when used as a Server.

My advice: buy the hardware platform you are the most comfortable with. On average (again it depends on your solution, data, etc) you can easily handle over a thousand users on a 2-cpu box.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Return to Servoy Server