Server reporting 64-bit OS as x86

Questions and Answers on installation, deployment, management, locking, tranasactions of Servoy Application Server

Server reporting 64-bit OS as x86

Postby SteveInLA » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:19 am

I am setting up a test Servoy server and encountering a problem. The processor is an AMD A6-3600 2.1GHz running 64-bit Windows Server 2012 (not R2). The System control panel reports the System type as 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor, but the Servoy Server admin page reports:
JVM Information
java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
java.version=1.7.0_51
java.vm.info=mixed mode
java.vm.vendor=Oracle Corporation

Operating System Information
os.name=Windows Server 2012
os.version=6.2
os.arch=x86

I discovered this when I found it impossible to start the service with a max heap size greater than 1280mb. Any ideas why Servoy doesn't recognize the 64-bit processor?

Steve in L.A.
SteveInLA

Re: Server reporting 64-bit OS as x86

Postby ptalbot » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:52 am

Simple: you are using 32-bit Java on your 64-bit OS.
Install a and use a 64-bit JVM and you will see os.arch=x86_64
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby SteveInLA » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:19 am

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that I have 64-bit Java currently installed and the Java control panel shows in the Java Runtime Environment Settings that it is pointing to the 64-bit version of the javaw.exe and only that version. I usually install 32-bit Java first, then install 64-bit Java when setting up 64-bit machines and this time I have tried various combinations of only installing 64-bit and installing 64-bit then 32-bit. When only 64-bit is installed, Developer does not launch and tells me it could not find the JVM in the path. If I add the path to the JVM in the System's path setting, Developer gives me the error that it could not launch the shared file C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\server\jvm.dll. It is only after installing 32-bit Java that Developer and Server will launch, but as stated, it is ignoring 64-bit Java. My server requires more than 2gb of RAM to run all its apps which is why this is a problem.

Steve in L.A.
SteveInLA

Postby ptalbot » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:45 am

It's clear that the JVM used by your server right now is the 32-bit one.
If it is a server I don't know why you would need to install Developer BTW.
If I were you, I would uninstall both 32 and 64-bit JRE. Restart the server to clean up.
Then install the 64-bit one, making sure that the path environment variable is pointing to it, also add a JAVA_HOME environment variable that might help.
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby SteveInLA » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:29 pm

This was a tricky one. I suspect that I may have used the online Java installer which only installed 32-bit Java, then installed Servoy developer and server, then installed 64-bit Java. Installing in that order may have locked Servoy into only using 32-bit Java no matter how many times I uninstalled and reinstalled Java afterwards. Following Patrick's instructions did not entirely fix the problem. Before I did anything, I remembered that I had not run Windows Update since installing the OS and found 106 updates to apply, though updating the OS made no difference to this problem. I completely uninstalled both Javas and restarted, then installed only 64-bit Java. The server service would not start and gave an error 1067 which Google revealed to be caused by its inability to find Java. I added the path to Java 64-bit to the PATH variable and the server service started right up and showed it was using 64-bit Java. Developer still would not launch, giving the error about being unable to launch jvm.dll. I re-installed Developer into the existing Servoy folder and got a different error on launch that read "The Servoy executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library." At this point, I completely uninstalled and deleted Servoy and reinstalled both server and developer. After reinstalling, both developer and server now work fine and are using 64-bit Java.

Thanks for your help.

Steve in L.A.
SteveInLA

Postby jcompagner » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:55 am

a server can just use what ever vm you have, just fix the batch/sh file to point to the right java(w).exe

then it is fine

A developer if that is installed it must use the same vm as the installed one. (because it has native code only for the "bit" of the vm that is used with the installer)
but a server can use and switch between them with no problem.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Return to Servoy Server