Client Slow Down Issues

Questions and Answers on installation, deployment, management, locking, tranasactions of Servoy Application Server

Client Slow Down Issues

Postby david.pearce » Thu May 29, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have a measure of when a delay in ping times will simply cause untold difficulties for a client running Servoy. We have one client who experience regular slow downs and says the service is unusable.

The analysis of there 10mb line show to me an unacceptable delay in ping responses both from google and to our server. We get 10ms to google and 25ms to our server from a BT business broadband which is shared fibre for £40 per month. They are running on a 1:! leased line, but the Ping times are at best 100ms to google and 250ms to our server, but frequently throughout the day and night it is taking 600ms to our server for prolonged periods.

Is it correct to say that we would expect Servoy to perform badly based on it taking .6s to ping 32 bytes to our server during these times, simply based on a ping test? or could Servoy perform alright at this latency. I don't want to blame their line and find out its our problem, but anecdotally other clients are not complaining of sustained and regular slow downs, and I can see our ping times are 10X better and we don't appear to have an issue.

Am I correct in saying that there must be an issue with their connectivity?
Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 15.30.27.png
Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 15.30.27.png (78.15 KiB) Viewed 2911 times

Thanks

David
david.pearce

Re: Client Slow Down Issues

Postby david » Fri May 30, 2014 3:56 pm

For our deployments 100ms is max and we shoot for 40-50ms range.
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Postby kwpsd » Sat May 31, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi, David.

The PING network utility only gives you the end-to-end packet travel time. If you want to track down from where the delay originates, try using 'traceroute' (linux/apple) or 'tracert' (windows) from your customer's network. Typically, the culrpit is a congested (extremely high packet traffic) router in the network path. 'traceroute' will tell you who owns the router (either by DNS name or IP address), and you should notify the router owner of the congestion.

I hope this helps!
Kim W. Premuda
San Diego, CA USA
kwpsd

Postby david.pearce » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:36 am

Thanks,

thats useful diagnostic information.

David
david.pearce

Return to Servoy Server