Non-Heap Space Memory

Questions and Answers on installation, deployment, management, locking, tranasactions of Servoy Application Server

Non-Heap Space Memory

Postby cotas » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:18 am

Hello from Germany :-),

I need help with my application server.

How can I change the value of the Non-Heap Space Memory? The used value always displayed in red and not in green!

You can see this in the attachment...
Attachments
server.jpg
server.jpg (122.16 KiB) Viewed 3228 times
cotas

Re: Non-Heap Space Memory

Postby Andrei Costescu » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:12 am

Don't worry about that. As you can see 'max non-heap' is 0K. Not Okey but Zero K.
That's why it's red. That memory is componsed of more memory areas and the max is unbounded/not relevant there.

I created a case (SVY-7082) to remove the red coloring and maybe give there more details per memory pool type (some might be useful like perm gen/metaspace).
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby jcompagner » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:54 am

also i see you are running java 8
thats why max 0K is reported, java 8 doesn't have the none heap anymore, that is now all one
So yes we should just fix this on the admin page by not displaying none heap if you are running java 8
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby cotas » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:02 pm

Ok, i thought it was a problem with my configuration. Our customer complains about slow navigation througt the forms and framework. Is there any possibility to tune up the performance on my application server :?:
cotas

Postby Andrei Costescu » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:59 pm

There is no special config that would generally make it work faster...
You have to find the 'bottleneck'. See what is the reason it takes long. A few ideas:

• is your server's hardware too crowded? (does it happen only when many clients are accessing the server at the same time)
  • check the database query execution times in admin page (clear page, reproduce, see what happened query wise)
  • if you can reproduce it using a developer and maybe accesing the developer-running solution, use the developer's 'Profile' view (Window -> Show view) to see what javascript executes and how long each method call takes when it reproduces. This might hint to possible slow methods in your code or in the framework. If you notice something in your code, try to optimize that; if you find something you think is too slow in frameworks, you should ask someone from frameworks.
  • can you reproduce it only when using a non-local or non-lan client - so a client that has slower network throughput and higher latency?
  • if you find no explanation in the above, or something points out to a Servoy API call/Servoy logic that you think takes too long it could be profiled at java level - and you would need to create a case for that.
  • if you are using web-client, browser side developer tools can be used further to see what's going on (maybe too large parts of the page get updated when they shouldn't or something like this).

You could also end up concluding that it just takes a long time because there's loads of content in the page. In which case you might want to show less-at-a-time.
Like having 3 table-views showing lots of records with hundreds of columns, then some media, ...
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Return to Servoy Server