"Allow Database Changes" checkbox not reliable

Questions and Answers on installation, deployment, management, locking, tranasactions of Servoy Application Server

"Allow Database Changes" checkbox not reliable

Postby chaitanyas » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:42 am

Hi All,

"The Allow Database Changes checkbox" is not reliable at all. In my database one table is missing which has "Numeric type of fields, like, Numeric(19,2)" and I thought, while importing a solution if I checked " Allow Database Changes checkbox" then it will create a schema for that missing table. Yes, it created a schema but all Numeric fields (19,2) created as Numeric(8) without decimals. I was blindly trust this option and then restore the data for that table then I lost the decimal values. :(

Servoy Version : 7.4.1
Database : postgressql
chaitanyas

Re: "Allow Database Changes" checkbox not reliable

Postby ROCLASI » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:51 am

Hi chaitanyas,

First, I moved your post to this new topic since it didn't have anything to do with the thread you posted it in (and by doing so hijacking the thread).

chaitanyas wrote:"The Allow Database Changes checkbox" is not reliable at all. In my database one table is missing which has "Numeric type of fields, like, Numeric(19,2)" and I thought, while importing a solution if I checked " Allow Database Changes checkbox" then it will create a schema for that missing table. Yes, it created a schema but all Numeric fields (19,2) created as Numeric(8) without decimals.

It's been a long time that I heard that Servoy created different datatypes then the one you designed it with. Like in version 2/3 you could end up with FLOAT datatypes for large numeric fields even though you specifically designed them as NUMERIC. But servoy has fixed that since then.
But since then I tend to make the schema changes outside of Servoy using real DBA tools, also because Servoy doesn't create any indexes or foreign key constraints for you. The only downside is that you need to restart the servoy server to make it aware of the changes (another way would be to use a pre-/post import hooks).

Can you check if your workspace where you exported the solution from your DBI files are indeed holding the number(19,2) settings? Perhaps your DBI files were not in sync when you exported the solution.
Also what PostgreSQL driver do you use? The one that came with 7.4.1 or did you install your own version?

Anyway, if your DBI files are indeed in sync I suggest you file a bug report with Servoy.

Hope this helps
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby chaitanyas » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi Rocalsi,

Referring your note, "But since then I tend to make the schema changes outside of Servoy using real DBA tools, also because Servoy doesn't create any indexes or foreign key constraints for you", Yes , I will also do the changes using DBA tools like, "PGADMIN". It could be nice to mention somewhere in the solution import page in detail about database changes. And also, in the developer the numeric field (19,2) is showing as Number(8) ?
I am using default postgres sql driver which is coming along with the Servoy 7.4.1 installer. Please correct me if I wrong.
chaitanyas

Postby ROCLASI » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi chaitanyas,

chaitanyas wrote:...in the developer the numeric field (19,2) is showing as Number(8)

Do you have error markers about column differences ? (see Problems/Markers view). It sounds like your DBI info is not up to date.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Return to Servoy Server