Cannot launch app server

Questions and Answers on installation, deployment, management, locking, tranasactions of Servoy Application Server

Cannot launch app server

Postby bdezonia » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:40 pm

Hello,

I am installing a servoy 7.3 application server on a CentOS Linux box. I have copied my servoy.properties file from my developer installation. The servoy admin page is not available on port 8080. Investigating I see that the ServoyServer status says it is not installed. I can run ServoyServer start and the service will start for a while and then quit. Reading the logs it says it needs to upgrade the repository. When I run servoy_server.sh -upgradeRespository the command runs for a couple seconds with no output and nothing is written to the hidden servoy log file. Running ServoyServer start after this fails in the same way as before. I am at a loss as to how to troubleshoot this. Does anyone have pointers? (I'm a newbie)
bdezonia

Re: Cannot launch app server

Postby ROCLASI » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:27 am

Hi,

First of all welcome to the forum, I see this is your first post.

As for your issue, to what database server are you connecting and is that indeed running and accepting connections from your linux box's IP.
Also can you post here the exact error message?
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby grahamg » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:32 am

Welcome to Servoy!

It may be that your database is not running so Servoy Server has nothing to connect to - but this should be in the logs.

Couple of links that you may not have seen:

http://blog.servoy.com/installing-servo ... 0-seconds/ <http://blog.servoy.com/installing-servoy-on-linux-in-10-seconds/>
or
https://wiki.servoy.com/display/DOCS/Se ... quirements
Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
www.worxinfo.com
grahamg

Postby bdezonia » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. First a bit about my setup. The database in use is MSSQL (maybe 2008). I have two database servers. Developer is setup on Windows and working with our dev server database. I dumped those MAC_* databases to sql scripts and imported them on the production database. I also copied the servoy.properties file to the Linux server and just changed the hostname for the six database connections.

The original log entries were in /var/log/messages and ./service_log.txt. I did not know about the server.log file until today. The server.log file showed that the database user account I was using did not have permissions to create tables. The database script backup and restore did not copy user permissions. I updated the user permissions (db_reader, db_writer, db_owner) and get a different result.

The original result shows this 5 times in service_log.txt:

STATUS | wrapper | 2015/04/02 11:10:42 | Launching a JVM...
INFO | jvm 4 | 2015/04/02 11:10:42 | WrapperManager: Initializing...
INFO | jvm 4 | 2015/04/02 11:10:46 | Cannot upgrade repository: make a backup of your repository and start server with -upgradeRepository flag.
STATUS | wrapper | 2015/04/02 11:10:48 | on_exit trigger matched. Restarting the JVM. (Exit code: 1)

And then this:

FATAL | wrapper | 2015/04/02 11:10:59 | There were 5 failed launches in a row, each lasting less than 300 seconds. Giving up.
FATAL | wrapper | 2015/04/02 11:10:59 | There may be a configuration problem

So I once again run ServoyServer -upgradeRepository since the user permissions are setup. Now I get this error in server.log:

Upgrading repository.
Error upgrading repository: com.servoy.j2db.persistence.RepositoryException: com.servoy.j2db.persistence.RepositoryException: java.sql.SQLException: There is already an object named 'servoy_content_spec' in the database.

This make some sense but its not clear to me why it thinks it needs an upgrade at all.

I went over the linux instructions you gave. The only gotcha in my case is I'm almost sure I installed servoy as root. I also did not do the set the look and feel to metal.
bdezonia

Postby bdezonia » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:18 pm

I forgot to methon that the MAC_* databases are part of a web app someone distributed to me as a .servoy file. The MAC_REPOSITORY is the database that could not be upgraded (before due to user permissions and now due to preexisting data).
bdezonia

Postby grahamg » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:31 am

Best suggestion would be to start again with a completely fresh installation - including empty repository database.

Copying setups can be time saving if it goes right first time - but if anything doesn't work then it's often quicker to let Servoy do it's thing rather than try to bug-fix.
Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
www.worxinfo.com
grahamg

Postby bdezonia » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:56 pm

FYI I did end up installing from scratch and was able to get things working.
bdezonia

Return to Servoy Server