Solution Import tells it is importing tables

Questions and Answers on installation, deployment, management, locking, tranasactions of Servoy Application Server

Solution Import tells it is importing tables

Postby Bernd.N » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:26 pm

I am 100% sure I did not switch on "Export solution sample data" on my solution export,
however on importing the Servoy export file, the AppServer tells it is importing 155 tables when importing an updated solution.

I certainly checked the tables after the import, but there was no new data in them.
Besides that, the Servoy export file was not much larger than the prior ones, which would have been the case when it contains sample data.

When I remember it right I have seen those messages only recently, after I updated my own Servoy development environment to 7.4.5, but I can not swear on that.

Does someone know why those messages appeared? Maybe those are messages that the metadata from those tables are imported?
I enclose also the export options I always use.
Attachments
export switches.png
export switches.png (21.82 KiB) Viewed 8150 times
importing_table.png
importing_table.png (325.12 KiB) Viewed 8150 times
Bernd Korthaus
LinkedIn
Servoy 7.4.9 SC postgreSQL 9.4.11 Windows 10 Pro
Bernd.N

Servoy 7.4.5 vs. Servoy 7.4.2

Postby Bernd.N » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:13 pm

I imported a new solution again, the behaviour was the same, although I never use the switch "Export sample data". That was on an AppServer with version 7.4.5

After that I imported the same solution file to an AppServer with Servoy version 7.4.2
And there I got the old behaviour, where it does not tell that it imports all the tables (see screenshot below).

So currently it seems to me that this is a different behaviour in the new version 7.4.5, when you run the AppServer on 7.4.5 too and then import a solution.

It would be interesting if anyone who uses an AppServer 7.4.5 also sees this behaviour at solution import.
Attachments
different_behaviour.png
different_behaviour.png (140.41 KiB) Viewed 8089 times
Bernd Korthaus
LinkedIn
Bernd.N

Re: Solution Import tells it is importing tables

Postby svisser1448437380 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:01 am

Berarnd,

Same behaviour here after upgrade from 7.4.2 to 7.4.5.
It helped me to clean up my solution. Somewhere there was still a link to a database/table that's not being used anymore.
saNder Visser
IT2serve
Servoy 7.4.7 / Windows 8.1
svisser1448437380

Postby jcompagner » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:41 pm

that is just some new information that we add so that you can see it is busy doing things

that importing table just means that we are processing it and "importing" the new column_info that is in the solution

We will rename it to "processing"
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Bernd.N » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:01 am

Good to hear, Johan, I was initially frightened that I import some sample data :).
Bernd Korthaus
LinkedIn
Bernd.N

Postby Bernd.N » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:44 am

jcompagner wrote:that is just some new information that we add so that you can see it is busy doing things ...
We will rename it to "processing"

In case it is not too much effort, adding a checkbox "Verbose messages" that will trigger this new behaviour might be an idea to consider.
Before, when only the table changes showed up, it had a better clarity. Now, the important table changes are harder to see.
Bernd Korthaus
LinkedIn
Bernd.N

Postby lwjwillemsen » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:07 am

+1
Lambert Willemsen
Vision Development BV
lwjwillemsen

Postby patrick » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:58 pm

Quite a few customers are using cloned DB servers for multi tenancy. In that case a significant part of the import process is the comparison of the different servers with the data model of the import file. To indicate a progress in these cases, this log output has been added. The next version will state "processing" instead of "importing", so it should no longer confuse people. Adding too many options to the import page will also confuse people...
Patrick Ruhsert
Servoy DACH
patrick

Saving import / export configurations

Postby Bernd.N » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:33 pm

As we are currently discussing options on the import page, the one I would appreciate the most is
[x] Save this import configuration for next import
because I always have to carefully select the right ones, although they rarely change.
Same is true for the export configuration in ServoyDeveloper.
Bernd Korthaus
LinkedIn
Bernd.N

Postby murmi » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:50 am

+1
Fritz Maurhofer
Maurhofer Informatik AG
CH-8340 Hinwil
murmi

Postby patrick » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:20 am

Why don't you guys add a feature request for restoring the last settings? I think an extra [x] to store a specific setting is a bit too much. Couldn't we just always restore the last order?
Patrick Ruhsert
Servoy DACH
patrick

Postby Bernd.N » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:04 am

patrick wrote:Why don't you guys add a feature request for restoring the last settings??

We could mutually discuss the best way to do it here in the forum, and then I would certainly add a feature request.
patrick wrote: I think an extra [x] to store a specific setting is a bit too much. Couldn't we just always restore the last order?

The extra checkbox would have the advantage that Servoy would always start with the same "standard" import/export settings that the developer needs in most cases.

In case the last settings would be restored automatically, a developer would have to overview the settings much more carefully, as it could be that they were changed to a non-standard setting during the last export/import session.
Bernd Korthaus
LinkedIn
Bernd.N

Postby patrick » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:23 pm

I like the idea of always having the last settings. Some of the defaults don't really make sense in my eyes. Why should "Allow reserved keywords" not be default? Also, who would not want to override default values? But maybe that should be an extra case to change those defaults... Also, I think it is easier to implement than adding an extra checkbox and more checkboxes also mean more complexity.
Patrick Ruhsert
Servoy DACH
patrick

Return to Servoy Server