Servoy 7 WAR Export

Questions and Answers on installation, deployment, management, locking, tranasactions of Servoy Application Server

Servoy 7 WAR Export

Postby Gordon McLean » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi
I am trying to get an isolated instance of servoy to work on a Tomcat server alongside a Servoy 8 instance. The process appears to be slightly when exporting war files between Servoy 7 and 8, in some much as you have less options to select.

On page 1 of of the version 8 export you get a long selection of options which includes export users and allow administrators. This is not available in 7 where you only get the option to choose the destination and next page takes you to selecting plugins.

My issue is that although the war generated and appears to have deployed on the server, it has not allowed me to access the servoy-admin page, this is completely blank and servoy-webclient is loading with an error :(

Questions:
1) How do you specify the additional options OR is this done via a custom properties file ?
2) Is there a common reason for the servoy-admin to fail to load ? i.e. if you had no users would this trigger a blank page ?

Are there any tips from more experienced Servoy 7 war exporters available ??

Any help much appreciated
Gordon
Gordon McLean
Clickdigital.com
Gordon McLean

Re: Servoy 7 WAR Export

Postby steve1376656734 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:09 pm

Hi Gordon,

I have had a lot of issues trying to get V7 and V8 to run alongside each other on a Tomcat server and have reported a few issues that are present in a V7 WAR export that do not happen with a traditional V7 application server deployment (see this thread). I also had problems getting my first WAR deployment to work and experienced the blank servoy admin page and there is a discussion on it where I received a lot of good help from Andrei Costescu here

That said there are a few things that caught me out and took a while to get my head around that are worth checking (these all relate to a Linux installation and may be different for Windows).

1. You must have a separate repository DB for the V7 and V8 instances. By default the V7 deployment will look for a DB called servoy_repository unless you have changed the details during the export or in the custom properties file. You should also have separate DBs for your V7 and V8 solutions otherwise the data that each instance sees will be out of synch.
  2. The Tomcat log files can often point to an issue so check the catalina.out and catalina.<current-date>.log files.
  3. The user that is running the Tomcat server must have permissions to create files in their home directory. A directory path will be created in the Tomcat users home folder called .servoy/server/<your_instance_name> and within this directory will be the servoy_log.txt file. If this directory does not exist then there is a good chance it is a permissions issue.
  4. If the servoy_log.txt file exists then this can often give some insight into the issue.

I always use a custom properties file as this allows me to deploy the instance with all my settings pre-configured and avoids some of the more common gotchas.

Hope this helps
Steve
Steve
SAN Developer
There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't
steve1376656734

Postby Gordon McLean » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:04 pm

Steve
Thanks for your input that was exactly what I was looking for. I will investigate the various avenues and see if I can track down the cause of the vanishing admin page.

This process started as a trial of Docker and has escalated into a more serious look at the whole process of how I host my solutions. The idea that I could have both 7 and 8 on a simple Tomcat service is very appealing and having that run on a container service more so. I currently develop on a Mac and deploy to Linux, whist there are not huge issues it would be nice to have both the test and deployment platforms being on the same stable scalable solution.

Best
Gordon
Gordon McLean
Clickdigital.com
Gordon McLean

Postby steve1376656734 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:58 pm

I too develop on Mac and deploy to Linux and my first WAR experience was identical to yours (deployment seems fine but blank admin page)!

Mine turned out to be the permissions issue on the Tomcat user home directory and a simple chmod resolved it. I just wish there was a similarly easy resolution to all my other issues with V7 and V8!!!

One other gotcha to note is that if you want to use Tomcat directly on port 80/443 of your server then the chances are you will need to run it as the root user unless you have a flavour of Linux that allows unprivileged access to ports < 1024.

Happy bug hunting.
Steve
Steve
SAN Developer
There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't
steve1376656734

Return to Servoy Server