Some i18n keys not there after importing a solution

Questions and Answers on installation, deployment, management, locking, tranasactions of Servoy Application Server

Some i18n keys not there after importing a solution

Postby huber » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:46 pm

Hi All

After exporting a solution (Servoy version 7.4.4) and importing it into the server, some i18n keys are not imported. I found in our i18n_messages table some entries having only one record for a given key instead of 2. I don't know about the reason. If only one i18n key is in the i18n_messages table, that key seems not to be updatable anymore, i. e. the import does not insert a locale entry (like DE) under this circumstance.

I couldn't clearly figure out about the behavior of the two checkboxes
[ ] Import internationalization (i18n) data (inserts and updates)
[ ] Insert new internationalization (i18n) keys only (inserts only, no updates)

When I read inserts, this means new records to me, so what is the difference when checking the first choice (Import internationalization ...), what is when checking the second (Insert new internationalization ...) and what about when checking both checkboxes?

I am also wondering about what is meant by naming the first choice Import ... and the second Insert ...
At the end, both are inserting keys into the i18n table, aren't they? Or is there a difference?

I wonder if anybody else has found problems with importing (inserting?) i18n keys when importing a solution?

Regards,
Robert Huber
7r AG, Switzerland
SAN Developer
http://www.seven-r.ch
huber

Re: Some i18n keys not there after importing a solution

Postby mboegem » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:42 am

Hi Robert,

Don't know about your issue, but the difference between the 2 options is very clear.

- They both import the i18n data which is contained in your export and will create new i18n records for keys that do not exist yet.
- The second option will just do this and no more.
- The first option will update the values for existing keys as well.

If you have a single solution running on your application server, I'd only ever use the first option.
If you have multiple solutions running on your application server sharing the same i18n table/keys, you might want to be a bit more careful and only insert new keys and use option 2.

Seems to me that checking both options shouldn't be done.
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby lwjwillemsen » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:03 pm

I think the import/update choice should be a radios button.
Lambert Willemsen
Vision Development BV
lwjwillemsen

Postby huber » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:09 am

Hi Marc

Strange behavior we have found is that there are some i18n keys which only get exported into the <project>.i18n_messages.properties or (in our case) the <project>.i18n_messages.de.properties files (in the <solution>.servoy (zip) file) if we edit and save them in the Servoy Developer again. In the i18n_messages table they exist only as one entry (either as default or as language). Quite strange and I don't know where this comes from.

As Lambert says, the UX suggests selecting both checkboxes is valid/possible, but to me also makes no sense. Therefor a good user interface should reflect that.

Regards,
Robert Huber
7r AG, Switzerland
SAN Developer
http://www.seven-r.ch
huber

Return to Servoy Server