Server Configuration

Questions and Answers on installation, deployment, management, locking, tranasactions of Servoy Application Server

Server Configuration

Postby ebrandt » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:05 pm

We will be purchasing some new servers shortley. I was wondering what the best configuration would be for running Servoy Server.

I would guess that we would want the our SQL server behind the firewall and install Servoy Server in the DMZ.

What server specs would be optimal for Servoy Server. Is Servoy server demanding regarding memory and performance.

Could it run on a server with other web applications?.

I have the resources to configure how ever I want to. I want to optimaize performance, but don't need over kill.

My network admin was asking me about configuration.

Thanks,
Erich
ebrandt

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:39 am

Servoy Server can be in or behind your DMZ. Requirements are fairly low but depend on how data-intensive your solution is and how many users access it simultaneously. Typically it requires about 10% of the power your backend sql-server would require to handle the users. If you have less than 1000 users and an up to date server (hardware wise) you can easily run other services off it as well. Note that it is very difficult to predict how good an application will scale as it mainly depends on what you have developed. In tests we've had over 20,000 users on a 2-CPU server, but how comparable to real life is a simulation of real-life? I realize that we could just give you the maximums (like most other companies would) and tell you that you can scale Servoy to hundreds of thousands of simultaneous users. The best would be to find a test group (even 5 testers would do), write a test script of what a typical user would do during an hour and have them do that faster (in general during testing you can have people do things up to 10x faster than in real life), watch the load on your servers and calculate your scalability. This kind of testing also helps you to tune your database and application, so it's recommend anyway.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby ebrandt » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:36 pm

Thank you for your time. I will develop accordingly
ebrandt

Return to Servoy Server