Help! Servoy Server will not start from command line

Questions and Answers on installation, deployment, management, locking, tranasactions of Servoy Application Server

Help! Servoy Server will not start from command line

Postby pbdavis » Thu May 02, 2019 5:18 pm

Using Servoy version 8.4.
Servoy Servory will start from developer but not the command line.
I'm using the MS SQL connection driver that comes with Servoy, com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver.

The only thing that is logged in servoy_log.txt file is:
Code: Select all
2019-04-29 11:04:56,584 ERROR [main] com.servoy.j2db.util.Debug - Could not find repository server: 'repository_server' [ ]
com.servoy.j2db.persistence.RepositoryException: Could not find repository server: 'repository_server'
   at com.servoy.j2db.server.Za.Zc.Zb(Zc.java:202) ~[j2dbdev.jar:8.4.0.3402]
   at com.servoy.j2db.server.Za.Zc.getRepositoryServer(Zc.java:178) ~[j2dbdev.jar:8.4.0.3402]
   at com.servoy.j2db.server.main.ApplicationServer.Zb(ApplicationServer.java:282) ~[j2dbdev.jar:8.4.0.3402]
   at com.servoy.j2db.server.main.Zap.Za(Zap.java:76) ~[j2dbdev.jar:8.4.0.3402]
   at com.servoy.j2db.server.main.Zap.start(Zap.java:45) ~[j2dbdev.jar:8.4.0.3402]
   at com.servoy.j2db.server.main.ApplicationServer.main(ApplicationServer.java:695) [j2dbdev.jar:8.4.0.3402]

My java version is:
java -version
java version "1.8.0_151"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_151-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.151-b12, mixed mode)

Anyone know why servoy_server.bat will not start the servoy server?

Thanks,
~Paul
Paul Davis
Belcan Engineering Group, LLC
pbdavis

Re: Help! Servoy Server will not start from command line

Postby mboegem » Thu May 02, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi Paul,

The error is quite obvious. Looks like you don't have a db-server connection named 'repository_server' which is required for running your solution from an application server install.
Developer will get its source from the eclipse workspace, however to run it from server you need to export your solution and import it on the server where it is stored in the schema of the 'repository_server' connection.
The actual database schema doesn't have to be named 'repository_server', but the connection name should.
Just create an empty schema, modify the servoy.properties file so you will have the connection properties setup correctly (don't forget to modify the property 'ServerManager.numberOfServers')

Now from the command line let Servoy create the tables and columns using this command:
servoy_server.bat -upgradeRepository

See also here: https://wiki.servoy.com/display/DOCS/Se ... ry+Upgrade

That should do the trick.
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby pbdavis » Fri May 03, 2019 7:29 pm

Thanks Marc for the reply. However, I have a servoy_repository and it was already upgraded from 8.1.2 to 8.4 using the -upgradeRepository option. It already has multiple solutions from the 8.1.2 copy. As I said it all works in 8.4 developer. After working in the Developer I needed to run the server for testing without the developer so I quit the Developer and tried to start the server. This is when I found I had a problem. I know the upgrade said it completed but I'm not sure that I ever tested to see if the server actually started. This upgrade happened a few weeks ago and I've been in the developer until now. BTW, my 8.1.2 still starts from the command line using the old 8.1.2 servoy_repository.
Paul Davis
pbdavis

Postby ROCLASI » Sat May 04, 2019 11:56 am

Hi Paul,

pbdavis wrote:As I said it all works in 8.4 developer.

As Marc already mentioned, Developer doesn't use the repository database at all. It runs the solutions from the workspace.

pbdavis wrote:After working in the Developer I needed to run the server for testing without the developer so I quit the Developer and tried to start the server. This is when I found I had a problem. I know the upgrade said it completed but I'm not sure that I ever tested to see if the server actually started. This upgrade happened a few weeks ago and I've been in the developer until now.

Can you check to see if the repository database has indeed 14 tables? I have had deployment issues where the repository only created 10 tables out of 14 and therefor didn't recognise it as a valid repository.
You might have create a new, empty, database and run the command again to create a fresh repository database. After that you just need to re-import your solutions.

Hope this helps
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby pbdavis » Mon May 06, 2019 6:20 pm

Hi Robert,

This does help. I mistakenly thought the developer used some small portion of the servoy_repository database.
My servoy_repository does have all 14 tables and it connects in the developer. My solution uses 2 databases that connect to the same MS SQL Server. All is working fine in the developer.
I did try creating an empty database and changed the servoy.properties to use this new one. I get the exact same error trying to start the server from the command line. Even tried with and without the -upgradeRepository switch.
Maybe something is wrong with my servoy.properties file? Is there a way to have Servoy create a new one?

Thanks for your help.
~Paul
Paul Davis
pbdavis

Postby mboegem » Mon May 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi Paul,

can you send me the properties file to have a look?
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby pbdavis » Mon May 06, 2019 6:43 pm

Where do I find your email address? Never-mind. Sent it PM.
Paul Davis
pbdavis

Postby pbdavis » Mon May 06, 2019 7:16 pm

I found the problem. My mistake. I was using the name servoy_repository instead of repository_server.
Thanks,
Paul Davis
pbdavis

Return to Servoy Server