Load Balancing NG Client

Questions and Answers on installation, deployment, management, locking, tranasactions of Servoy Application Server

Load Balancing NG Client

Postby sbutler » Tue May 10, 2022 5:31 pm

Any good docs on load balancing with NG? The RabbitMQ stuff is clear, but not sure about the actual load balancer with multiple Servoy servers behind it for NG. The docs still have references to Terracotta in the load balancer section, even though thats not supported anymore. https://wiki.servoy.com/display/DOCS/Ap ... figuration
Scott Butler
iTech Professionals, Inc.
SAN Partner

Servoy Consulting & Development
Servoy University- Training Videos
Servoy Components- Plugins, Beans, and Web Components
Servoy Guy- Tips & Resources
ServoyForge- Open Source Components
sbutler
Servoy Expert

Re: Load Balancing NG Client

Postby sbutler » Mon May 16, 2022 9:56 pm

no one?
Scott Butler
SAN Partner

sbutler
Servoy Expert

Postby sean » Tue May 24, 2022 7:06 pm

Hi Scott,

Thanks for pointing out the old docs on Terracotta, which should be removed.
We cannot offer a template for how best to setup infrastructure for a particular organization.

However...

Projects which are hosted in ServoyCloud automatically benefit from:
    Multi-Node environments, with built-in load balancing,
    Broadcasting,
    Continuous resource monitoring with smart rules for compute distribution
    Scale-up/down capability
    And much more...

We missed you at ServoyWorld :wink: and had a whole session on this topic. But we did offer a free, no-risk trial, including consultation and on-boarding to those in attendance.
Software Engineer
Servoy USA
sean

Postby sbutler » Tue May 24, 2022 7:54 pm

Hey Sean, your answer worries me. I like that Servoy offers their ServoyCloud as an option for people that want the full Servoy Platform experience to let Servoy handle everything, but I hope that Servoy isn't intentionally limiting documentation on their own product in order to push more people to ServoyCloud. Documentation on load balancing any product should be pretty standard these days. With the current docs suggesting to copy a config file from a "terracotta " directory when Terracotta isn't supported makes things very unclear. No one is asking for custom templates on a particular organization...just standard docs.
Scott Butler
SAN Partner

sbutler
Servoy Expert

Postby sean » Tue May 24, 2022 8:32 pm

Hi Scott,

Of course not. For example, we offer hooks and documentation for automating war file generation because it is specific to our own tech. People can do it using their own jenkins, or they can do it in ServoyCloud. They have a choice.

The same is true for load balancing, which is why we started using RabbitMQ, so it can be infrastructure-agnostic.

So I suspect you are looking for documentation, less about Servoy and more about Apache or NGynx or IIS etc (plus maybe tomcat). If there is something specific needed regarding Servoy's Stack, then please let me know and we should document it.

Thanks,
Sean
Software Engineer
Servoy USA
sean

Postby sbutler » Tue May 24, 2022 11:43 pm

I was actually looking for more docs on Servoy's side of it. We have a lot of experience with load balancers like Apache, nginx, cloudflare, etc, but was expecting to see if Servoy had anything specific needed to work with those.

I think it would be helpful if the Terracotta docs were dropped completely from the current version's docs. Then on the main Server Scaling page, describe what's available, and more importantly, what's NOT available, when load balancing Servoy. For example, there doesn't seem to be anything that persists sessions across servers. So even if you setup the load balancer, if a server goes down, all users sessions are disconnected and end up reconnecting to the login page of another server in the pool. Servoy doesn't really offer anything specific to load balancing, other than broadcasting between servers via RabbitMQ. Each server essentially stands on its own and relies on the load balancer to use sticky sessions / session affinity so the user continues to connect to the correct server in the pool.

So, I think I was essentially looking for something that doesn't exist since its not currently possible, so maybe for clarity sake, it might be useful to just mention something like the above paragraph in the docs.
Scott Butler
SAN Partner

sbutler
Servoy Expert

Return to Servoy Server