How to do headless installation

Questions and Answers on installation, deployment, management, locking, tranasactions of Servoy Application Server

How to do headless installation

Postby willieseabrook » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:05 am

Hi,

Have been developing with developer on my machine and now I want to move servoy server to our development server for real testing. Trouble is that the installer is a visual one and the server is headless.

What's the best way to get everything across? Is it ok just to copy the dir structure across (I want to take the asa repository across as well)

Regards
Willie
willieseabrook

Postby IT2Be » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:09 am

What platform and os version? Windows, linux, mac?

In general you can always use VNC on all three platforms, RDC when your work with Windows Server or Remote Desktop on the mac.

That should get you going...
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby jcompagner » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:51 pm

for servoy just copy the complete directory structure.
What database are you using? Sybase? That one is included in the dir.
Ofcourse you have to copy a directory then from linux->linux of win->win you can't mix then.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby willieseabrook » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:32 am

Development machine is linux. Server is linux also. We are using postgres for our database and it seems the sybase asa for the servoy specific stuff (don't know how to copy it over... I'll figure it out later)

I will see what happens if I just scp the entire directory structure across.

Cheers
Willie
willieseabrook

Postby willieseabrook » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:25 am

I found copying the directory structure across too messy. I also decided setting up ASA on our linux server was an additional hassle (why *not* just run it on postgres with rest???) I was getting startup java exceptions and the shared object problems etc. So In the end I

1. Did a dud install on my local machine to generate the structure of the install.xml configuration file.
2. Modified the properties/install location etc in install.xml and used it with server_installer.jar to install it on my servoy.
3. Copied across the servoy.properties file from the fresh dud install on my local machine and changed the repository_server, user_data and log_server database settings to work with postgres.
4. Created the appropriate postgres user and databases for the base servoy databases.
5. Started it fine. (no exceptions or asa problems)
6. Currently waiting on mods to the production server firewall. This is because I plan to import our solution that was built on my development machine using the web interface on the production server.
willieseabrook

Postby jcompagner » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:45 pm

if you are running the rest on postgres then you can use that db also fine as youre repository server..
Just make a db in postgres and point to that one as 'repository_server'
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Return to Servoy Server