Guidance request

Questions and Answers on installation, deployment, management, locking, tranasactions of Servoy Application Server

Guidance request

Postby Morley » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:54 pm

This is my first posting on Server issues to the Forum. I'm attempting to help my client's IT consultant come up to speed. I'd like him to host my solution from his servers, complete with the current test data I'm using here in Toronto. (The idea is to let some of my client's end users preview what's to come. Development will continue offline here in Toronto.)

He's got Servoy Server up and running, has installed the solution and I've succeeded in logging in as a client. But we're having database issues.

Some forms display data, others don't. This isn't a problem in my development environment here in Toronto so I'm assuming there's something fishy about the database to Servoy connection at his end. Also he seems to need Servoy Developer to be up and running as well as Server in order for this to work. I feel like we're currently fumbling around in the dark -- can't quite find the light switch.

Would it be advisable to do a database backup here in Toronto and send it to him to do a "restore" at his location?
Morley Chalmers
7Office Inc.
Morley

Postby IT2Be » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:08 pm

Morley, can you be more specific on your and the providers platform, java version, database in use etc. Also, what are the setting of the server how are the database connections set up etc..

That's a lot but there can be a lot of issues... Why don't you log into the server pages of servoy to see if all db's are assigned correct, setting are ok etc.?
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby jcompagner » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:02 pm

if you have to run the developer then there is something wrong.
Because a developer is also a server! So if it only works when running a developer can mean 2 things:

1> The developer starts the database (sybase). The server doesn't do that!! In a server install you have to start the database youreself. Becaues auto start sybase in developer is only to relieve developers. But in a server this shouldn't be done by servoy.

2> The client is redirected to the developer instead of the server. This is easily tested: Do you see the servoy webstart page without the developer running? (so what you see with: localhost:8080). If this is the case then i think it is point <1> that is happening on youreside.

If you use mysql then be sure that you specify a validation query!! Mysql drops connections when they are idle to long.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Morley » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:11 pm

All issues resolved. My client's IT person is very good. Without seeing Servoy before and mostly without reviewing documentation very much, he got it up quite quickly. A few dumb errors which he solved on his own.

Will be able to show an alpha of this solution in the near future.

Much thanks,
Morley Chalmers
7Office Inc.
Morley

Return to Servoy Server