Memory and CPU needs

Questions and Answers on installation, deployment, management, locking, tranasactions of Servoy Application Server

Memory and CPU needs

Postby a.mariottini » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:00 pm

What are Servoy Server memory and CPU needs, based on clients number?

I don't remember where, but I'm sure I red something like:
xxxMb for server (without connections)
xxxMb for each solution open
xxxMb for each client connected
What about CPU?

I'm evaluating the possibility to install Servoy in a Virtual Server (a shared machine with some operating systems running concurrently - a service offered by some ISPs)

Does anyone tied this?
Can anyone help with memory and CPU needs?
Andrea Mariottini
a.mariottini

Postby automazione » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:20 am

For testing I'm actually using a Linux Virtual Machine with Servoy Server / sybase / apache / mysql. In my partition I'm running a debian woody. My virtual machine has 64 Mb RAM and shares a 2.6 dual xeon with other (max) 39 virtual machines. IT WORKS!!! but I have not yet tested with heavy load.
Enrico Arata
Servoy Italia
automazione

Postby jcompagner » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:29 pm

a client doesn't cost much memory on the server. (i could almost say, almost nothing...)
Also the solution a client has opened doesn't matter.
How many solutions there are in total does however becaause the server will load them all in mem.

Very busy clients with lots of queries very often can cost some temp mem But not permanant mem (for a live client).

the faster the cpu the faster servoy server will start or can handle connections (but that also depends much much more on the network and database you have)
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby a.mariottini » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:31 pm

I could have a server running Debian 3 with 512Mb of virtual memory
(at least 128Mb of fisical RAM) with 1/64 of CPU time.

My solution is very simple and the number of concurrent users is <10, while the number of total users (clients) could be > 500.
So I think Servoy doesn't need much resources.
On the same server will run apache and mysql serving some sites (2 at moment, but the number could incrase to 50 with very low traffic
except for one with high traffic).

I red in the manual Servoy requires about 90Mb of RAM. Is this number inclusive of java environment and sybase?
Andrea Mariottini
a.mariottini

Postby jcompagner » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:54 pm

i would use a bit more memory for the server (512 fysical) and memory is very cheap so that should be ok.
do you have to share that cpu time (1/64) with the mysql and the apache processes? Because then it looks a bit to litte (or it is a dual/quad proc of 2.xGhz?)
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby a.mariottini » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:21 pm

do you have to share that cpu time (1/64) with the mysql and the apache processes?

I have a Linux system (system processes,apache,mysql and all other standard processes) whith al least 1/64 cpu time.
I don't know exactly how this is implemented.
I think is something like Virtual PC, the same machine runs al most 64 virtual systems with all of their processes inside, so even apache and mysql have at least 1/64 cpu time.
The ISP said this solution is faster that standard hosting where on the same system runs a lot of sites. So the problem is not apache or mysql.
But I don't know about Servoy.
Andrea Mariottini
a.mariottini

Return to Servoy Server