Deployment version and development version/edition

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

Deployment version and development version/edition

Postby birgit » Tue May 20, 2008 11:15 am

Hi

Automatic update of the applications version at end user side is nice. But is it true, that I cannot define the version to be deployed? Is it true that the end user loads the same version I develop on???

Our application contains about 10 modules and we are 2 developers. So, I cannot define a version of a solution to be the active one (for the user) and develop on a not active version of the solution. Since to load a not active solution, I have to open the form to access the repository, which can only be done if all developers are logged out. And this is only the problem of the top most solution. To define the corresponding versions of the dependent modules is then the next problem.

How do others deploy there application? Do you use a second repository? Any other ideas? Will this change in version 4.0?

Thanks for your help and regards
Birgit Rieder
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
birgit

Postby IT2Be » Tue May 20, 2008 11:27 am

So you develop on the same repository that is used by your users.

I never did that and will never do that.

As far as I know Servoy does not support/encourage that either...

Or do I misinterpret what you wrote?
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby ROCLASI » Tue May 20, 2008 11:38 am

Hi Birgit,

It's highly recommended to develop on one repository and deploy on another.
Developing on your deployment server would require you to restart it every time you want the clients to see your changes anyway.
Also altering schemas of your data source(s) can cause issues because Servoy server reads them only at startup.
And there are a few more gotchas.

In Servoy 4 you can work the same way but you can now also work with a CVS (or SVN) server where you 'checkout' the source and later 'checkin' the delta of the changes.
This way you can work with multiple developers on 1 solution without problems. Even better than now with the Multi-dev version of Servoy.
Also CVS/SVN is (I believe) an open standard and Eclipse supports it out of the box.

Hope this helps.

* SVN == Subversion
* CVS == Concurrent Versions System
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby birgit » Tue May 20, 2008 12:01 pm

Thank you, both, for clarification!

Obviously I misunderstood the (current) versioning of solutions in the repository. They are not meant to distinguish between development and deployment versions/editions.

So, for the deployment (two internal users for now), we have to find out if we go with a second repository.

I'm looking forward to the versioning options we will have in 4.0 :-)

Kind regards
Birgit Rieder
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
birgit

Postby grahamg » Tue May 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Totally agree with previous advice to keep Development and 'live' Servers completely separate.

However it would be helpful if we could have more control when updating remote Servers using servoy_server_updater.jar. Ran this on a Server last night and it jumped the Servoy version from 3.5.3 straight to 3.5.6. Has not created any problems but I usually wait a short time before upgrading live servers to the latest version.

Would be great to have Server version updates as part of the servoy-admin pages in SV4.
Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
www.worxinfo.com
grahamg

Return to Servoy Client