How do smart client updates work?

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

How do smart client updates work?

Postby popdizzle » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:18 am

Is there way to have clients automatically download an updated smart client whenever I make changes on the server?

I've searched the forum, but can't find a concise answer, so my apologies if this is spelled out somewhere.

I am having to Flush the server, restart it, uninstall the smart client, and delete the .servoy directory, all to get a client to get the latest build.

This is really cumbersome, to the point of becoming maddening. I'm sure there's an easy way to get a client updated, but I haven't found the answer.

A full explanation of how the smart clients get updated and when would be very, VERY helpful to me.

Help! Thanks.
--Jason Pierson
www.servoyan.com
Servoy Developer and Consultant
popdizzle

Postby IT2Be » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:24 am

It should be enough to restart the client(s), after importing the updated solution on the server.

I am pretty sure this is described in the manual(s).

When you use a developer to make small changes on the server (not advised) you indeed need to flush (and possibly restart) the server since your server does not have the latest version in cache in this case.
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby popdizzle » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:37 am

I keep getting errors on the server when trying to import a solution there, so I was having to import thru Developer.

Looks like I'll have to troubleshoot the server to see why it bombs when importing. On first looks, could be a MySQL driver issue, so I'll start there.

Thanks. That clarifies why my clients weren't updating. I'll avoid any more updating thru Developer on the server.
--Jason Pierson
www.servoyan.com
popdizzle

Postby popdizzle » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:20 am

Yes, changing the version of the MySQL driver resolved my problem where I couldn't import a solution on the server. Not sure why it worked on Developer, but not Server.
--Jason Pierson
www.servoyan.com
popdizzle

Postby john.allen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:05 am

Hi Marcel,

Why is it not advised to make changes in the repository via Developer (and then flush them with the Server interface)? I've been doing it for years (small, incremental changes that I hate to have a new release for - somehow seems bad to have lots of releases in my mind...). However I've been having a problem with a solution where I've done this and wondering if that might be the issue. In fact the problems I'm having are in Developer (the clients are fine). So, anyway, I'm curious as to why that isn't recommended. I can't remember the reason and didn't find anything in the docs...
John Allen
Stanford University
john.allen

Return to Servoy Client