Smart Client "cannot find dataservice"

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

Re: Smart Client "cannot find dataservice"

Postby rgansevles » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:30 am

kwpsd wrote:A failure to 'telnet' to port 1099 indicates that some other application/service/system thing is already using the port, but, if that is true, then you would expect to see port 1099 to appear in 'netstat -a' as LISTENING. Microsoft at its best, eh? The conclusion we made was that Windows Vista is (secretly) using port 1099 even though it's a reserved port for Java RMI.

Kim,

A failure to connect to port 1099 means that no-one is listening on that port/host or that you cannot reach the host or that a firewall blocks the connection.
It not showing up in nestat output probably means it is the first option.

Rob
Rob Gansevles
Servoy
rgansevles

Postby JuanMartin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:20 am

Hi

I don´t have any proxy.
Since I already have direct connection to the Java control panel.
really, what ports are needed for access to the client?

I have 1099 and 8080 redirect to the server in my router.
I have Windows 2000 in my server.

Thanks
Juan Antonio Martín Pinilla
Servoy 2022.9.2 - PostgreSql 9.4
software@critenerife.com
JuanMartin

Postby awvservoy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:08 pm

We ran into this problem yesterday where a customer went from Windows Vista 64-bit to a new computer running Windows 7 64-bit. The registry fix Kim supplied below fixed the problem. Thanks Kim! :D

(Interesting note to this- our customer had been using Windows Vista 64-bit for well over a month with no issues, so I wonder what the configuration value is that is causing this to happen? We're not able to do a detailed config review of the user's workstation unfortunately...)

Of course, the customer later went ahead and applied updates from Microsoft and the problem reoccurred- apparently Microsoft is doing SOMETHING with port 1099. Reapplying the registry fix solved the problem once again.

To work around this I think we might just push all of our application servers to run through port 443 as I really don't want to get into this issue repeatedly with our customers- I'd rather avoid the whole issue of trying to find relatively available ports that won't get co-opted later by Microsoft somehow.

Anyone else run into this with the launch of Windows 7?

-Tony

kwpsd wrote:We installed Servoy on a new Windows Vista 64-bit computer (to act as a Servoy server) and ended up with a myriad of problems...this being one of them!

Using the 'netstat -a' command, we found that Sybase SQL port 2638 and Servoy Server port 8080 were open and LISTENING, however, the RMI port 1099 didn't show up. Using the 'telnet' command to port 1099 resulted in a message stating that a connection could not be established. Conflicting information at best..here's why.

A failure to 'telnet' to port 1099 indicates that some other application/service/system thing is already using the port, but, if that is true, then you would expect to see port 1099 to appear in 'netstat -a' as LISTENING. Microsoft at its best, eh? The conclusion we made was that Windows Vista is (secretly) using port 1099 even though it's a reserved port for Java RMI.

So, how to get around this? We added the following key to the Window Registry location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Create a new multi-string value key (REG_MULTI_SZ) in this location and name it 'Reserved'. For the range value, enter '1099-1099'. Save and close the registry editor, then re-start the computer.

Disclaimer: we do not know what the ramifications to Windows Vista are, if any, for reserving port 1099. If you know of any, please let us know.

I hope this helps!

Kim
Anthony Vitrano
ReadQ Technologies LLC
awvservoy

Postby IT2Be » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:16 pm

Is Servoy functioning under an admin account?
You need full read/write rights.
Please disable windows security and see what happens.

There are more posts about this subject so maybe there are more hints available.
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby awvservoy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:30 pm

IT2Be wrote:Is Servoy functioning under an admin account?
You need full read/write rights.
Please disable windows security and see what happens.

There are more posts about this subject so maybe there are more hints available.

Marcel- in my case it's the end user running the Smart Client on Windows 7 64-bit connecting to my application server in my shop (Saas deployment) and our application server is and always has been Linux (our particular flavor is CentOS...) on x86 32-bit.

In Kim's post the issue is the Application Server running Vista 64-bit and the registry entry helping clients to connect, whereas in my case the fix helped my customer using Smart Client to connect. Different cases but I'm glad the registry entry helped.

I do not know if the client is running using an admin account and I can't advise him to have to do so to run the Smart Client if it turns out that that ends up being needed, which I doubt.

The user to the best of my knowledge has full read/write access; I can't imagine port 1099 traffic being a 'read/write' access being a 'read/write' access issue, and even if it is, why would the registry fix have worked (no other changes made to the system AFAIK)?
Anthony Vitrano
ReadQ Technologies LLC
awvservoy

Postby Furono » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:24 am

I got this same error upgrading to Servoy 5.1. Nothing worked until I deleted the cache on every machine.

** ONLY thing that fixed it was going under the Java Control Panel app, Temporary Internet Files, Delete Files etc

Hope this helps

Steve
Furono

Previous

Return to Servoy Client