Smart Client starts with blank screen

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

Re: Smart Client starts with blank screen

Postby rafig » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:58 pm

Hi guys,
this happened again for me today, which wasn't good as I was hoping to demo to client the latest version on my laptop!
I tried setting Java to 32 bit mode on my Mac, but that didn't help.
I then modified the 'servoy.ini' file in the Servoy (Developer) launch file package to bump up the memory, but that didn't help.
I checked that the other Servoy 5 solution (in separate install/workspace) worked, it did.
So I exported my solution, then deleted all solution (& project contents on disk), restarted Developer, imported solution (& included modules) and it launched.
BUT, I have now lost a bunch of calcs in 3 tables!!!
The 'table_name_calculation.js' files exists for each one, with the missing calcs in them and in fact one of them is being looked at as the Strict JavaScript mode is warning me that some of the calcs don't always return values :?
AND, some of my form methods have also lost their links (are showing as 'unresolved' on form elements) even though the 'form_name.js' file exists with correct code in it :(
This is now using up a LOT of my time trying to solve and I am unalbe to do the work I had intended for my clients and deadlines are approaching...
Luckily I was using this client as a 'test' as they haven't gone live yet & my other clients, who I have been telling to move to Servoy 5, are luckily still on 3.5!
I DO NOT want to have to move my Servoy Development into my (VMWare Fusion) Windows environment (which I guess doesn't have this problem).
This is now REALLY starting to **** me off.

PLEASE fix this!

Thanks,
Rafi
Servoy Certified Developer
rafig

Postby Harjo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:17 pm

We are moving to Windows (for developing), because of this problem!
I spoke to Johan about this today, they already do a lot of tricks & workarounds, to make this work on Mac, and he was'nt sure IF Servoy can fix it AT ALL. :-(

I will file a case,
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby Harjo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:25 pm

filed a case: 258350
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby rafig » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:11 pm

Harjo wrote:We are moving to Windows (for developing), because of this problem!

OMG! That is terrible!
Harjo wrote:I spoke to Johan about this today, they already do a lot of tricks & workarounds, to make this work on Mac, and he was'nt sure IF Servoy can fix it AT ALL. :-(

Even worse!
I bought myself a 17" MacBookPro to be able to work nicely with Serclipse… I REALLY don't want to have to switch to using my Virtual Windows to do dev. in Servoy :evil:
Harjo wrote:I will file a case,

Thanks for that.

I am going to zip my problem workspace and solution in case its needed for a Case and then do a fresh install of 5 & solution import to see if that works.

Thanks
Rafi
rafig

Postby Kahuna » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:33 pm

I bought and transferred to a MacBookPro just this week, solely to develop (on a portable) in Servoy.

Some official feedback from Johan and the Servoy team would be very welcome right about now! If MAC is unlikely to be fixed in the short term (cross platform is the promise) we need to know ASAP.
(Servoy Version: 6.0.7 Win XP / 7 - SQL Server 2008 R2)
Ian Cordingley (Kahuna)
Kahuna

Postby rafig » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Kahuna wrote:Some official feedback from Johan and the Servoy team would be very welcome right about now! If MAC is unlikely to be fixed in the short term (cross platform is the promise) we need to know ASAP.

I agree!
And Bob Cusick has just become a BIG Mac fanboy, so I'm sure he'll be unhappy with this and want it resolved :)

Rafi
rafig

Postby djclarke » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:15 pm

This also happens to me all the time in 4.1.4 and I agree it is more than annoying. I found (or maybe heard here) that if you close all the open tabs in Eclipse and relaunch Smart Client it generally fixes it. Far from ideal though -- it's easy to lose your train of thought when you do this.
djclarke

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:54 pm

Kahuna wrote:I bought and transferred to a MacBookPro just this week, solely to develop (on a portable) in Servoy.

Some official feedback from Johan and the Servoy team would be very welcome right about now! If MAC is unlikely to be fixed in the short term (cross platform is the promise) we need to know ASAP.

Gents please calm down. If you wish to yell go to apple.com and yell there, this is clearly an Apple issue. As we have mentioned before with the cases filed we will see if we can do anything about it.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby troy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:24 am

Like other Mac users, I encounter this issue occasionally. The following has always cleared it up for me. I'd be interested to know if it does for others as well.

Step 1: Quit Servoy, if it is open
Step 2: Delete the contents <workspace_directory>/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.debug.core/.launches
Step 3: Re-open Servoy

Note: by default any files beginning with a dot are hidden in the Finder (or any *nix OS for that matter). There are many ways to get into that directory to delete its contents. Personally, I use Terminal.

Code: Select all
rm /<full_path_to_workspace>/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.debug.core/.launches/*
Troy Elliott, Data Mosaic

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
U.S. demo server
Blog: Coding Nomad
troy

Postby jcompagner » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:53 am

ROCLASI wrote:I just remembered....I did file a case a while back with a zip of one of my workspaces that can reproduce the issue 100% (for me).

I tried this case (on Servoy 5) and i restarted now about 5 times and try to show the client as fast as possible can
but the inlog screen always is just there just fine.

I dont have data ofcourse in the database, because i just created a sybase db and all the tables from the dbi files.
But i dont think that should matter to much for showing the login screen.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby rafig » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:39 pm

Just to say that my Mac is working with Servoy 5 now :D
Maybe it was the latest Java update I installed ?
The calcs. etc. that had gone wrong are now ok and Smart Client is displaying correctly again.
Maybe all the other Servoyians on this thread that have had the problem could try installing & updating to the latest Java as well and see if that helps (& post their outcomes) ?
(I did also have all Eclipse tabs closed, as mentioned above...)

Thanks,
Rafi
rafig

Postby Harjo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:53 pm

Oke, I had updated to Servoy 5 Intermediate 1 and updated to the latest Java for OSX, and the whole week, I did'nt got this issue.

I just upgraded to Servoy 5.0.1 and was working for an half our, and started the debug client: boem.... grey screen (debug client)

I followed the instructions of Troy deleting: rm /<full_path_to_workspace>/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.debug.core/.launches/*

and the debug clients works again!! :-)
Maybe this will Servoy give some directions?
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby jcompagner » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:03 pm

not really.
Because there you only have a global.js launch config. And maybe a few more

What is the real contents when you delete?
This is pure eclipes launching stuff so i dont get it when it finds someone it can fail and when it has to create a new one it doesnt?
(and not always because the first time you start a client you have a new file there)
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby chico » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:17 am

So is there a final consensus on this? Like an official list of "Try These Steps" ? Anyone find a new trick?

I've seen so many blank gray screens that all the fun has left my life.
--------------------------------------------
Servoy Version: 6.0.3
DB: MySQL 5.1
Win XP/Vista/7 - Java 5u20 / 6u22
OS X - 10.6.5 - Java 5/6 update 3
chico

Postby jcompagner » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:20 am

problem is that on our test mac i cant reproduce this situation at all anymore
(a customer did send in a sample case where he would have it but also that did work fine for me)

i have no idea what that deleting of the launch configs would help. Thats deep into eclipse/dltk doesnt really have anything to do with servoy.
But what happens is that if you would delete it that one wouldnt be reused but a new one would be created maybe that triggers a little bit different timings and because of that it works.. its weird.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

PreviousNext

Return to Servoy Client