Smart Client starts with blank screen

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

Re: Smart Client starts with blank screen

Postby kurtbleicken » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:30 pm

I finally gave up on all this nonsense and reluctantly bought a PC where I'll do all programming. I've wasted enough time trying to do work-arounds. Let's face it, Servoy Developer is not really cross platform.

This reminds me of the black magic stuff we used to have to do 20 years ago in Filemaker. Do the import but don't touch anything, don't move your mouse!
Kurt Bleicken
Servoy 7
Executive Director, onRamp for nonprofits
kurtbleicken@gmail.com
Founder, AgentSphere, LLC
kurtbleicken@gmail.com
kurtbleicken

Postby jcompagner » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:34 pm

don't think you have to really buy a pc for this.
Just use vm ware or some thing like that.
That should work fine also.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Robert Huber » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:45 pm

I must say I am a bit surprised by your conclusion. We develop Servoy applications for many years now on Macs - without exceeding the "normal" (or to be expected) amount of problems. That's not to say things could be better and with less problems (that's always great), but as far as I can "see" on the Servoy Forum and on personal talks with Johann (and other Servoy develope staff), he and all others are trying very hard to give good support to the Servoy community using Macs as well as for the other platforms. And not to forget there are for each OS vendor many different versions existing and to be supported.
And I would say you can expect in such an environment like having Java as a separate layer on the OS (whatever OS it is) and all the other tools needing to be integrated into Servoy it can not always be seemless, although of course I would like it to be.
Please don't missunderstand me, I don't want to make problems smaller than they appear and also expect Servoy to fix them, but I also like to give credits to the Servoy developers for fixing them or trying to fix them.

Best regards, Robert

kurtbleicken wrote:I finally gave up on all this nonsense and reluctantly bought a PC where I'll do all programming. I've wasted enough time trying to do work-arounds. Let's face it, Servoy Developer is not really cross platform.

This reminds me of the black magic stuff we used to have to do 20 years ago in Filemaker. Do the import but don't touch anything, don't move your mouse!
Robert Huber
7r gmbh, Switzerland
SAN Developer
www.seven-r.ch
Robert Huber

Postby david » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:13 pm

kurtbleicken wrote:I finally gave up on all this nonsense and reluctantly bought a PC where I'll do all programming. I've wasted enough time trying to do work-arounds. Let's face it, Servoy Developer is not really cross platform.

On 5.1.4, the blank screen issue pops up several times a week for us. But it's a quick fix so not sure it's worth moving to a PC for.
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Postby ellenmeserow » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:36 pm

Agreed. I developed cross-platform in 3.5, primarily PC since I'm forced to use Microsoft SQL server. But in 5.2, I'm primarily mac again and couldn't be happier with the exception of this bug, which would be lovely to have fixed but I'll stay on the mac without it. Windows has plenty of it's own problems, in the os anyway!

Also, loving 5.2 more that i can say. Mostly it's just Eclipse I'm in love with (how did I develop without it?), but overall great job.
ellen escarcega (formerly meserow)
meserow design
Servoy 2019 9
MSSQL 2017
Windows AWS Servers
ellenmeserow

Postby ellenmeserow » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:09 pm

I just reproduced this from a clean launch of Developer 5.2.1 on mac when the only thing I had left open was a form in designer, no methods or globals.js or anything. Closed it, quit developer, re-opened, all is well again. Does that make sense with the current theory that it's something about my methods?
meserow design
Servoy 2019 9
MSSQL 2017
Windows AWS Servers
ellenmeserow

Postby jcompagner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:30 pm

i think we just can never get this completely right, apple needs to fix this.

the thing you can do is make sure that before you close eclipse, close all your editors.
That will help i guess a lot.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby ellenmeserow » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:09 pm

OK, thanks. Love love love the feature of leaving them open and getting them back on Windows. Hope you'll let us know if you hear Apple has fixed it.
meserow design
Servoy 2019 9
MSSQL 2017
Windows AWS Servers
ellenmeserow

Postby djlapin » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:58 pm

I'm really, really sorry to bring up this apparently sore subject again.

I've been dealing with the blank screen problem in 5.2.x for about two months now. I'm using a MacBook i5 with OS 10.6.8, Servoy 5.2.11. I've tried David's solution of closing all the open tabs, closing Servoy, deleting the files in that hidden launches folder, and then re-starting Servoy. No joy.

It also does a weird thing when launching the Smart Client: The Smart Client opens, then minimizes into the taskbar for about half a second. Then it un-minimizes and displays as a gray screen.

I did install a fresh version of Servoy 6, and the gray screen does *not* appear there...yet. But I haven't been using the Servoy 6 yet, as I've had some trouble re-importing the solution.

Lately Servoy 5.2.11 also has been suddenly doing the spinning pizza of death while I am editing code, and I have to do a force-quit. So I lose my work. I didn't see random freezes in David's list.

Has there been any progress?

Thank you,
Don
djlapin

Postby mboegem » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:56 am

Don, which version of java do you use?
mboegem

Postby david » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:08 pm

Have you tried reinstalling Servoy 5.2.11? Are you using any heavy-weight plugins?

We only develop on macs and 5.2.x has been really slick so far. Every once in a while we'll get a blank client but that's about it.
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Postby djlapin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:15 am

Hi Mark,

javatester.org says 1.6.0_29

Thank you,
Don
djlapin

Postby djlapin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:51 am

Hi again,

The only plug-in I am using (that I know of) is More Clipboard (for Eclipse).

But installing the 1.6.0_26 version of the jvm has miraculously cleared up the problem!! (At least in three out of three tries.)

Whose issue is this? If it is Apple's, has Servoy or some other party communicated with them about the problem?

Thank you very much Mark for the suggestion,
Don
djlapin

Postby jcompagner » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:31 am

so you changed the jdk (that comes from apple) and the suddenly it works way better, so where do you thing the blame is?
Its just that apple does very weird stuff with there event queue, they can't handle it the way servoy works.
In 6 we had some big changes in this area so that we are not bumping into this that often

Apple already deprecated there development of java, so hopefully it will work way better in the future when Apple doesn't touch it anymore.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby djlapin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi Johan,

It isn't my intent to cause you to be irritated about the situation. I'm just trying to get my work done, which is quite a load at this point. Many things are not working the way I would like them to. Are you recommending moving from 5.2.11 to 6? If so, which version of Apple jvm should be used with that version of Servoy? Are things sufficiently bad that I should move the project over to the PC?

Thank you,
Don
djlapin

PreviousNext

Return to Servoy Client