No data and strange behavior

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

No data and strange behavior

Postby Bert » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:58 pm

Can't see any data via client in the CRM-solution :(
I can see the form such as buttons (with no text), fields etc but no data.
Strange thing is however when I enter data the textcursor moves to the right every time I touch a character on the keyboard but no character appears!
And when I touch a tabpanel text appears on the tabs, but when I leave the layout and return again the text on the panels is gone again and some buttons do the same.
In some fields tough there is data but when I enter the field the data dissappears and is back again when I enter the form again!

All works fine in developer, but had to force-quit developer twice because it was 'searching for clients' according the statusbar :?

Thanks...

btw: Servoy 1.1/OSX.2.5/SDK 1.4.1
Bert de Graaff
ATB Software Servoy Developer manage your business anywhere
Bert

Postby Jan Aleman » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:13 am

The latest crm does not work fine on OS X client. This is an issue related to Apple's implementation of Java and we have been in contact with Apple about this. The only thing we heard back from Apple is that it is on their list. If you use straight forward solutions with no fancy look and feel it works fine but anything fancy will make labels and texts disappear, we suspect it is a painting order problem in Apple's Java implementation.

Hopefully Apple will fix this issue in their next release and hopefully it won't take them too long for the next release, if they don't you'll have to migrate to Linux :lol:
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

A little bit dissapointed...

Postby Bert » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:54 am

jaleman wrote:If you use straight forward solutions with no fancy look and feel it works fine but anything fancy will make labels and texts disappear, we suspect it is a painting order problem in Apple's Java implementation.

So in the meantime no fancy interface... :? thinking immediate by myself having a great tool with almost no (interface)limitations (X-times better than FileMaker)... I can't use them :(
But OK, databasesolutions are met by their functionality and not by a fancy interface, so in the meanwhile I shall put all my effort in functionality.

Question 1: why does this work in Developer (this is Java too?)?
Question 2: because there's nothing fancy about text in fields, why can't I see any text in there using the Client?
Question 3: what is fancy, I mean can you give me a few points here where things can go wrong so I can leave them out when developing functionality because I have to know when I'm dealing with bad code or an interface-issue caussed by Apple's Java implementation.

Thanks...

BTW:
if they don't you'll have to migrate to Linux :lol:

YES, OK, VERY FUNNY :lol: :lol: :lol: :evil: :wink:
Bert de Graaff
Bert

Postby Jan Aleman » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:11 am

I can't use them

Yes you can. Just make sure you dont deploy on mac clients for the time being. Probably apple will get this issue out of the way before you are ready to deploy.

Q1. That is a mystery for us as well. When your in data mode in developer you are executing EXACTLY the same code as Servoy client, so this is a very strange java/apple problem.

Q2. I have no idea, also see 3

Q3. It is very difficult to reproduce. What we DO see is that once it doesnt start liking things new elements will also not work properly. I suspect there is a relation between the amount of elements and the problem
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Logic...

Postby Bert » Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:36 pm

jaleman wrote:Q1. That is a mystery for us as well. When your in data mode in developer you are executing EXACTLY the same code as Servoy client, so this is a very strange java/apple problem.

So when I'm in Developer using 'datamode' having no problems with any stuff or functionality on my forms and executing EXACTLY the same code as Servoy Client this should be a Servoy problem on MacOSX concerning the Client/Server!

This is logic, or am I missing something here :?

Thanks...

BTW: are there any other OSX-users on this forum having the same problems with the CRM-example in Servoy 1.1?

Thanks...
Bert de Graaff
Bert

Postby Jan Aleman » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:12 pm

This is logic, or am I missing something here

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mac OS X

The OS X client problems with CRM will occurr with all OS X java 1.4.1 users why? because its a bug in OS X's java 1.4.1 implementation. All we can do is hope Apple fixes it soon.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby jcompagner » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:38 pm

We have found a workaround for it and implemented this in the RC3 release. Can you test with the RC3 release?
jcompagner

workaround

Postby Bert » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:36 pm

jcompagner wrote:We have found a workaround for it and implemented this in the RC3 release. Can you test with the RC3 release?

Yes, I've read it in the new features/enhancements and downloaded version 1.1 R3 but had no time to test it yet.

Thanks ... :D
Bert de Graaff
Bert

Return to Servoy Client