Multiple Windows / Clients

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

Multiple Windows / Clients

Postby ebrandt » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:36 pm

Is it possible for one user to have multiple clients open? I have a few departments that would benifit by having different forms opened simutanioulsy. I need to enforce validation as well as letting the user access and edit other forms without having to navigate back and forth.

I had this problem with FM, but in 7.0 they allowed multiple windows. I know that the multiple windows concept was disscussed in the forum, but from what I remembered, it was not going to be possible.

I thought the best way to accomplish this would be multiple clients, even thought it would require additional licenses. Is this possible? I am awaiting to hear back on the SAN Application I faxed in, so I am unbale to test this concept until I get additional licenses.
ebrandt

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:47 pm

Yes you can run multiple clients on a single machine.
You could also consider two tabpanels that look at the same data next to each other, make sure that they use the useseparatefoundset option.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby ebrandt » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:50 pm

They will already have multiple tab panels of information on certian screens. Multiple clients will work out well, most of the department personnel have multiple monitors.

Thanks for the help!
ebrandt

Re: Multiple Windows / Clients

Postby rjacques » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:25 pm

ebrandt wrote: I know that the multiple windows concept was disscussed in the forum, but from what I remembered, it was not going to be possible.

Is this really the case, Servoy will never have multiple window capability?
Roger W Jacques
Senior Application Developer
Soliant Consulting
rjacques

Postby ebrandt » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:26 pm

You can open additional windows using ShowFormInDialog. This is very useful and I use it frequently. The only draw back is that you cannot edit the background windo until the forground window is closed.
This is usually the result you want to enforce validation.

Other times it is useful to open additional windows for various reasons , while you edit the background window. I am sure that in the future this feature could be added, but is is most likely not a critical feature at this point.
ebrandt

Postby rjacques » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:31 pm

ebrandt wrote:You can open additional windows using ShowFormInDialog. This is very useful and I use it frequently. The only draw back is that you cannot edit the background windo until the forground window is closed.
This is usually the result you want to enforce validation.

Right, I was aware of the modal option.

ebrandt wrote:Other times it is useful to open additional windows for various reasons , while you edit the background window.

Big time useful. Hence my concern about the statement that it was never going to happen.
Roger W Jacques
Senior Application Developer
Soliant Consulting
rjacques

Postby ebrandt » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:36 pm

Well, I am just another developer, You would need a reponse from the servoy team regarding independent floating window function capability in the future.
ebrandt

Postby olivier melet » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:06 pm

We also will be very interested in this issue.
Can a Servoy developper confirm this assertion (that multiple windows will not be implemented)?
There is a lot of methods to avoid multiple windows, as described above, but the feature itself will be also a marketing advantage.
Olivier Melet
Administration et projets
InfoForm SA
olivier melet

Postby DFehrenbach » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:51 pm

I also want to add my vote for this feature being added to Servoy (see: http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=2085 ).
In the best of all possible worlds there could be an option on the showFormInDialog function to allow the form be modal or not.
DFehrenbach

Return to Servoy Client