Force Default Look and Feel (laf) on Client?

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

Force Default Look and Feel (laf) on Client?

Postby JDW » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:09 pm

Hi,

I've not seen a way and forum searches didn't say... is it possible to force a particular look and feel as the default on a client?

I think the user should be able to change if desired, and can make sure the look and feel jars are available on the clients if needed, but I'd like to be able to specify which laf the client should use.

Is this possible? If not, is it being considered? Seem would be a huge benefit.

Thanks.
JDW

Postby jcompagner » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:43 am

this is already possible by editing the servoy.properties file. See youre developer properties file for this. you have to specify a "selectedlnf" property in the server's property file.

Then the first time a users starts up it will take that selectedlnf from the server. This doesn't work on the mac!! Because many lnf of swing don't work quite right on the mac.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby JDW » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:17 pm

Hi Johan,

Thanks... I'll try as well but are you saying no look and feel JARs will be downloaded to the client if it's a Mac, or it won't work if the look and feel JAR is one that doesn't work on a Mac?

Said another way, if it's a fully cross-platform look and feel it will work ok?

Thanks.
JDW

Not working after testing, possible bug?

Postby JDW » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:05 pm

Hi,

I did try as promise, and I'm using the JGoodies Plastic XP look and feel. We have 25 Mac OS X clients I want to deply to, and my testing today makes me wonder about a possible bug.

Under OSX, I've set the "10.0.2.58080_selectedlnf=" line in servoy_client.properties to "com.jgoodies.plaf.plastic.PlasticXPLookAndFeel". (I got the value from servoy.properties.)

I've verified the Plastic XP look and feel jar is downoaded, the file is here: computer:~/Library/Caches/Java Web Start/cache/http/Dlocalhost/P8080/DMlafs/RClooks-1.2.2.jar

When I start the client, the Look and Feel always defaults to OSX. When I recheck the servoy_client.properties file after launching the client, the "selectedlnf" line has changed to:

10.0.2.58080_selectedlnf=selectedlnf\=com.jgoodies.plaf.plastic.PlasticXPLookAndFeel

Is the "selectedlnf=selectedlnf\=com..." portion a bug by chance? Seems it would be hard to find the file with that path...

Thanks.
JDW

PS...

Postby JDW » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:06 pm

The Plastix XP Look and Feel does work fine under Mac OSX in Developer, so it's not a PC-only Look and Feel.

Thanks.
JDW

Postby jcompagner » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:15 pm

altering the client properties file isn't needed - a client can set it themselves in the lnf panel.

For now we can't push lnf to the mac because that causes many problems. Maybe in the future we can give an extra option that you can say that you also want to push the lnf to the mac. Then the developer can test it themselves first and then it is their responsibility.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby JDW » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:32 pm

Hi Johan,

That would be fine by me, and I'd be happy to verify first. If this could be added to the list of upcoming features, we'd apreciated it.

Joel
JDW

Postby sebster » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:00 pm

This feature will be available in the admin pages (main page under Client OS Integration settings) in the next build.
Sebastiaan van Erk
Servoy
sebster

Push LAF to Macs

Postby JDW » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:31 pm

Hi,

I just found and tried out the new push LAF to Mac feature in server, and it seems to be working well. Thanks for this functionality, I think lots of Mac people will use it (we likely will).

JDW
JDW

Return to Servoy Client