Forcing a proxy server for client connection

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

Forcing a proxy server for client connection

Postby olivier melet » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:31 pm

Some of our customers have strong network security policies.

First they use firewalls,
second they force usage of proxy for all traffic to and from the internet.

Thus blocking the servoy client to access an external test server by ssh tunnel.

As changing these policies is not an option, we will need the option to force all client communications through the default proxy. (Two-way socket does not work here)

Is there any possibility to achieve this with the current 2.1.1 version (changing java engine settings does not help for this)?

If not, please consider this as a feature request, as other developpers will certainly meet the same trouble with their customers.

Thanks in advance,
Olivier Melet
Administration et projets
InfoForm SA
olivier melet

Postby Jan Blok » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:17 am

Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby grahamg » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:24 pm

http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/faq.html and search in text for proxies

I read this page - and kept a copy for info - but the reference to Proxy just suggested "Remove your proxy settings ...." - this is not always possible.

We having problems with NHS Hospitals trying to connect - following details problem

I have looked into the problem with the Servoy client at Mid Staffs and it is a problem with the way the client is using the proxy settings. The problem is that the client does not work with our proxy server, what we would normally do in this situation is add the IP Address of the remote host so that the proxy is bypassed.

We use an Automatic Configuration Script which is a .Pac file to configure proxy settings, the entry to bypass your IP looks like this

else if (isInNet(host, "217.37.xxx.xx", "255.255.255.255"))

return "DIRECT";

else

return "PROXY 194.101.209.241:80";

}

From what I can tell the Servoy client picks up the proxy settings from IE bit it is not bypassing the proxy as specified in the file. I think this is a problem with the way Java/Servoy client interprets the Pac file and perhaps your developers may be able to help?

I'm well out of my depth here and would be grateful for a response/solution I can pass on to them

Thanks

Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
grahamg

Postby Jan Blok » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:37 am

Does the last 4 msg from this thread help you?
http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t ... ight=proxy
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby grahamg » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:03 am

Thanks for link - had seen it but didn't realise it might be the answer.

Not sure if it will solve problem as already running Java 1.5 on Server computer however will ask Hospital IT to check/upgrade the Client computer(s)

Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
grahamg

Postby grahamg » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:06 am

Jan

Just had following reply back from Hospital IT - do you have any other suggestions please ?

Hi Graham,

Ernie has jre-1_5_0_04-windows-i586-p.exe installed but the problem is still occurring?

Regards

Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
grahamg

Postby Jan Blok » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:38 am

Did you specify that the proxy setting should be used in the Java control panel?
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby grahamg » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:49 am

No - I gave them a summary:

From my understanding it seems to indicate that the latest update to Java - JRE 1.5 - handles these situations OK but the previous JRE 1.4 version could throw problems. Could it be that you have JRE 1.5 but Eddie is on JRE 1.4? If so could you try updating Eddies computer and test the connection again. It would be a good idea to find & delete the existing servoy-client.properties file to avoid confusion.

then pasted what I thought was the appropriate text from the thread you suggested:

------------------
after consulting with our network controller it seems that the JRE doesn`t copy the exceptions of the proxy server as entered in the
Internet options\connections\Lan Settings\Proxy Server\Advanced\Exceptions field.

This means that the commands are not recognized as a internal request and are send to the proxy server.
When our legacy or classic proxy server recieves such a request it drops the request (internal requests are not send to the proxy (see exceptions in IE) so it defines this as a virus attack). When we enter the exeptions manually in the JRE everythig seems to work.

We consider this as a bug in JRE. After consulting them they say that there is no Service provided on free tools. Twisted Evil

Next week we are going to try integrating the exceptions in JRE with a startup script.
----------------

Follow up message

--------------------
The problem is solved with JDK 1.5 (Server) JRE 1.5 (client).

JRE copies all Proxy settings from browser now.
--------------------

Could you spell out for the proxy-challenged like myself what advice needs to be passed on.

Thanks in advance

Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
grahamg

Postby Jan Blok » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:01 pm

We do not have experience with network proxies, but check the control panel if it uses the browser proxy settings
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby grahamg » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:47 pm

I'm told it was a "straight default install" - however they are going to look at settings later today to see if they can adjust & connect.

If anyone else has some experience on this subject - suggestions would be most welcome.

Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
grahamg

Return to Servoy Client