Love the Mac... hate Java on the Mac... and therefore Client

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

Love the Mac... hate Java on the Mac... and therefore Client

Postby Providence1 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:43 pm

Does anyone else have a problem with Servoy Client on the Mac?

It's slow, far slower than the PC just to boot.

It's slow or just doesn't listen when I try to triple click on a field (the screen flips around), when I try to command-c, command-v, it just won't do it or takes forever...

Anyone... Bueller?
Providence
Providence1

Postby pavelzver » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:22 am

Yes I do have exactly the same problem and it is very frustrating.
Commad-c and command-v and commant-(z,x) doesn't work on all fields but ctrl-c and ctrl-v and ctrl-(z,x) works fine on a Mac. How am i suppose to tell Mac user to use ctrl instead of command, they'll think Im crazy or something. :shock:

And I also noticed that when you select part of the text in portal (textarea field) it only works first time, as soon as you click out of it and try to select it again, the highlighter goes nuts.

Pavel
pavelzver

Java on mac

Postby edward » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:02 pm

Java performance on the Mac platform has for many years lagged behind the other platforms. They have made major leaps forward in recent years (remember Java in OS X.1!) but it is still not quite there. I have been told that with the impending release of OS X.4(tiger) we should see some more improvements in speed and UI issues.
Edward Callaghan
Servoy
edward

Postby Providence1 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:32 pm

I never even noticed the fact that ctrl-c, v working on the Mac in Servoy!

I too have read about the lagging Java implementation in Tiger OS 10.4.

This and the fact that iDisk doesn't sync properly with the Home Directory leaves me intrigued over the fact that it's announced in less than two weeks and shipping in just over three.

The $129.00 upgrade will be worth if the can get their JAVA act together alone!
Providence
Providence1

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:39 pm

The best place to complain about Java performance on the Mac is with Apple. We'd love to improve it but Java for the mac is not an open source project one can contribute to. The keyboard shortcuts that work incorrectly in tableview/portals are also caused by an Apple LAF faulty implementation. Having said that: on a not too old mac (and programmingn your solution for optimal performance) solutions are very, very usable.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Return to Servoy Client