Why can't I load anything in Client (Tiger)

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

Why can't I load anything in Client (Tiger)

Postby Harriet_Rosenberg » Thu May 19, 2005 2:47 pm

I'm new to all this so please forgive me if I've missed something obvious. I've been struggling for two days to do something that is supposedly "seamless for the end-user" according to reviews: only trying to open a solution, *any* solution, in Servoy Client. A whole bunch of problems were first caused by Firefox(1.0.4) which I finally decided is just not compatible with Servoy requirements under Tiger. (Firefox reported missing plug-in but then was unable to auto-install, and clicking Manual Install took me to a Sun page but then their link for OS X took me to an Apple page on which there was a download link for Tiger users for "Java 5", when what I thought I was supposed to look for was "JRE 1.4"!!! VERY FRUSTRATING AND CONFUSING.)

So I switched to Safari which runs a distant second among my preferred browsers, but if I have to use Safari I will. At least it auto-installed whatever it was looking for and I saw the coffee cup.

I thought the correct version of Java was automatically already there under OS X? Or did someone make that up? (This was a clean install of Tiger. I have no clue where one is supposed to find "JRE" it doesn't show up in Spotlight, and everything named "Java" in the Frameworks folder is listed as "version 10.0.0"...)

Anyhow, so now I supposedly have the plug in. So the Client finally launches and after what seems like forever, I get a message saying "Could not register client."

This was the SAME message I was getting before I ever clicked the "Click HERE to see if JRE is installed" link! Then I end up with a seemingly INFINITE number of identical alerts on my screen (if I move one the next one is right behind it, and so on, very bizarre!) that say "No license or trial licenses left. Exiting." When I click OK (which I only have to do in one of the self-replicating alerts, all of which have an active [blue] OK button regardless of which one I click on) the whole thing disappears off my screen and I'm back to scratch.

If this weren't required for my job I would give up right now.

I do not have my OS X firewall turned on, if that matters. (Though I have no idea what firewalls might be in place further up the line with my ISP's router etc.).

There is a registered copy of Developer on this computer too but I wouldn't think that should prohibit me from using Client?

What am I doing wrong or what is missing or where is the incompatibility here? Do I need to register the Client that was installed at some point during my stumblings-around with a license code somehow? (I thought the license was granted by the Server application?)

Sorry this message is SO LONG. To cap everything off, I had already typed all of this out when by accident I hit Command-Q instead of Command-W while in some other Safari window!!! (Someone remind me to make a global change to that Command-W keystroke, it sure as heck lives way too cloes to Command-Q.) So I had to type it all out again, just to add to my own frustration, but at least this 2nd version is somewhat summarized (rather than treating you to the entire 2-day-long saga) and is a bit shorter which is good for my reader's sake.

I hope I included what other people would need to know to help me. I had similar problems trying to access the SAN Solution at my employer's request, so I don't think this is just something wrong with the demo solution?

H E L P , I'm feeling quite dumb.

T H A N K Y O U
Harriet_Rosenberg

Postby swingman » Thu May 19, 2005 4:05 pm

A few pointers:
- Java is already installed on Mac OS X, on Tiger you have the *option* of running Java 1.5 or 5.0...
- Servoy client licenses are entered on the server, not in developer. Go to
http://localhost:8080/servoy-admin/ to enter client licenses. (Assuming you run the server on your local Mac)
- If you can't see this page, it is because the server isn't running. Try launching Servoy Developer first, it will start the Servoy Server and Database Server.
- If you have problems getting Servoy Server to start automatically on Mac OS X, you are not the first one... there are a number of threads and solutions on the forum and in www.servoymagazine.com. Look at the most recent stuff first.

Hope this helps.
swingman

Postby Harriet_Rosenberg » Thu May 19, 2005 5:29 pm

swingman wrote:A few pointers:
- Java is already installed on Mac OS X, on Tiger you have the *option* of running Java 1.5 or 5.0...

Thanks for your response swingman, and if any of the below sounds cranky, please don't take it personally!

This is what I thought ... the necessary Java components should already be there in a clean Tiger install. So why when I went to demo.servoy.com and clicked the link to test for the proper version of the JRE, was I informed by two different browsers that I did not have it? (Firefox, which didn't help me at all in getting it, and Safari, which did something automatically).

[Has anyone else actually used Client successfully under Tiger?]

Also, how does one determine on OS X what version of Java one has? And when we say "Java" and "JRE", is that the same thing? (Wearing my utter ignorance on my sleeve here.) And would they be at the same version? (i.e., both Java and JRE are version 1.4.2, for example)

And where do you set this option of running version 1.5 or 5.0? (which seems like a huge difference in version numbers, as well....)

- Servoy client licenses are entered on the server, not in developer. Go to
http://localhost:8080/servoy-admin/ to enter client licenses. (Assuming you run the server on your local Mac)

I am not running SAS at all. I am learning how to create applications in Developer using whatever built-in database server is installed with it.

But I wasn't trying to access my own solution. I was trying to access the SAN solution and the Servoy Demo solution, both of which I imagine live on a server across the Atlantic Ocean from me and both of which applications (especially the demo which would be for the haven't-purchased-yet public) I would imagine Servoy (the company) has entered some kind of unlimited client license code...

Now I see that there is no longer a link from the Servoy home page to the Demo, maybe we're just not supposed to try that demo.servoy.com link anymore? I found the link in an old post on this forum.

- If you can't see this page, it is because the server isn't running. Try launching Servoy Developer first,

OK, just tried that

it will start the Servoy Server and Database Server.

Oy, so I have to install a database server in order to get a Client registered for use on someone else's server? This is making less & less sense to me. I think I'll take a few days off and actually read the manuals starting on page 1. Or maybe someone else can just tell me this is not true. I remember accessing that servoy demo thingie about a year or two ago, and I did not have *anything* Servoy-ish installed here.

- If you have problems getting Servoy Server to start automatically on Mac OS X, you are not the first one... there are a number of threads and solutions on the forum and in www.servoymagazine.com. Look at the most recent stuff first.

Thanks for that info. however, I (perhaps obstinately) persist in believing that I do not have to have Servoy Server running in my office in order to connect to a demo on someone else's server. But I will look for those threads if I'm having trouble at the point that I'm trying to set up a Server here and test my own solutions from it.

I was able to access that localhost URL you posted after I launched Servoy Developer (after which only one thing named "Servoy" showed up in Activity Monitor, so I don't think the SAS application is also started by launching Dev, btw). But when I click on Client Licenses it only says: "You are running Servoy Developer. Client licenses can only be registered when running Servoy Application Server." Meaning, in my mind, that my license must be registered **on the server which I am trying to access**.

Folks, is that last supposition of mine wrong? Do I need to license my Client app on my own server in order to make it work when accessing an application on somebody else's server? Which would mean that I can't even use Client until I set up my own server?

Thanks again, swingman, and sorry for my persistent frustration and endless stream of questions, everybody.
Harriet_Rosenberg

Re: Why can't I load anything in Client (Tiger)

Postby ROCLASI » Thu May 19, 2005 5:33 pm

Harriet_Rosenberg wrote:I'm new to all this so please forgive me if I've missed something obvious. I've been struggling for two days to do something that is supposedly "seamless for the end-user" according to reviews: only trying to open a solution, *any* solution, in Servoy Client. A whole bunch of problems were first caused by Firefox(1.0.4) which I finally decided is just not compatible with Servoy requirements under Tiger. (Firefox reported missing plug-in but then was unable to auto-install, and clicking Manual Install took me to a Sun page but then their link for OS X took me to an Apple page on which there was a download link for Tiger users for "Java 5", when what I thought I was supposed to look for was "JRE 1.4"!!! VERY FRUSTRATING AND CONFUSING.)

Tiger comes standard with Java 1.4.x installed.
Apple does have Java 1.5 (a.k.a. Java 5) available for download and will be installed NEXT to 1.4.x.
But you don't need 1.5 to make Servoy work.
Only issue on Tiger so far is that Servoy Client has it's menubar in the window. Developer has no issues.

As for your client launch problems. Are you trying to open a client from another machine ?
Why not run Developer on your own machine and then open a webbrowser and point it to http://localhost:8080/ and launch the client from there.
Then you *know* there are no firewalls in the way and everything *should* work.
If not then something else is going on.

Harriet_Rosenberg wrote:There is a registered copy of Developer on this computer too but I wouldn't think that should prohibit me from using Client?

You can have even Developer *running* and open clients from another server. So this is not the problem.

Harriet_Rosenberg wrote:What am I doing wrong or what is missing or where is the incompatibility here? Do I need to register the Client that was installed at some point during my stumblings-around with a license code somehow? (I thought the license was granted by the Server application?)

The client doesn't need to enter a license code indeed. The server knows the license code.
The server license can be inserted via the developer (but the check code will fail since it isn't a Developer code).
You can also insert the server license code via the admin pages when you have Servoy launched as server.

Harriet_Rosenberg wrote:I hope I included what other people would need to know to help me. I had similar problems trying to access the SAN Solution at my employer's request, so I don't think this is just something wrong with the demo solution?

I had a similar problem. Turns out that Servoy moved the SAN Solution to another URL. I will PM you the URL since this is for SAN Members only.

As for swingmans reference to the thread about a Mac OS X startup script for Servoy Server you can look here.
I posted there a link to download the files mentioned in that thread.

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby Harriet_Rosenberg » Thu May 19, 2005 5:55 pm

Thanks so much for your reply Robert.

I'm just wondering if anyone besides me who has a Tiger box handy can go to demo.servoy.com and get anything other than a "could not register client" message followed by a "License expired" message?

If nobody else is having this problem, what should I try next?

Frazzled Harriet
Harriet_Rosenberg

Postby Harry Catharell » Thu May 19, 2005 6:16 pm

Hi Frazzled Harriet,

I am testing this on a freshly upgraded Tiger iMac as I write this reply !!

I have got through to demo.servoy.com - no problem.
I have checked via the Servoy Client web page that JRE 1.4.2 is installed
I clicked on Launch Servoy Client logo and initiated the Java Web Start download
It then downloaded the Servoy client (2.4 MB)
It then launched the client and opened the CRM solution

I am using the CRM solution as I finish this !

Maybe there is a conflict now with Java versions and you might consider an uninstall of your current Java version and get the 1.4.2 version installed via the demo web site ?

Note that I think that there was simply a misinterpretation of your problem earlier.
This has nothing to do with having Servoy Developer running on your machine or any Servoy server local to you.
This is purely about you downloading a Servoy thin Client from the Servoy demo site and running it locally to access the remote solution.

Hope this helps a little

Cheers
Harry
Harry Catharell

SOMEWHAT RESOLVED (but still strange stuff going on)

Postby Harriet_Rosenberg » Thu May 19, 2005 7:04 pm

I was able to connect just fine to the demo application on another machine (that access the 'net via the same network). the other machine is still running OS 10.3, so i thought this might be an OS issue.

Back on the Tiger box, I trashed absolutely everything that started with "Servoy", including the little 2KB files that keep getting downloaded to my Downloads directory. Did a hard shut down and a restart. And then was able to open the demo CRM solution off of Servoy's demo.servoy.com site.

Quit & tried again and got the old dreaded "could not register client" message. Quit and tried 3 more times and got in all 3 times.

One thing I notice is that on the 10.3 computer, I am asked "You have downloaded the Client application twice, would you like to install it" (or something like that) but I am never asked that on the Tiger machine. So there is something going on either with Tiger or with this computer (which has just undergone a driver update & Tiger install).

I am logged in as an administrator with application-install privs on both computers.

All so strange.

I would not be surprised if we see some Tiger issues shake out for Client, after all. Thought I'd be very happy to say "I was totally wrong" after I have some more experience here.

[Harry, thanks mucho for testing for me & posting back! I've written you a PM also]
Harriet_Rosenberg

Postby ROCLASI » Thu May 19, 2005 7:04 pm

Harriet,

I have been running 10.4 and now 10.4.1 with no problems.

It sounds to me that you have a network issue. Most probably due to some firewall on your network.
To be able to connect to Servoy server you need port 8080 and 1099 open for download and initiation of the connection. After that it will use a random (high) portnumber.
So if you are behind a firewall and it doesn't let any or one of these ports be used you have a problem.

Btw, when you run Developer you also have SAS running, together with Sybase (which holds the repository and some test databases)

So to rule out that your Tiger setup has anything to do with it I suggest you launch Developer and then point your webbrowser to http://localhost:8080/
And launch the client.
This will connect to your own machine and thus rule out any firewall.

If all this works then you know the problem is somewhere on your network.

Hope this helps
Robert Ivens

--
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby ROCLASI » Thu May 19, 2005 7:09 pm

Harriet,

Reading your last reply I wonder if you have a permissions problem.
Did you run Disk Utility to fix the disk permissions?

Also the first time you download a client Java-Webstart will ask if you want to save an .app file.
Under 10.3 this only happen after 2 runs (although this was adjustable in the webstart prefs).

Hope this helps
Robert Ivens

--
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby Harriet_Rosenberg » Thu May 19, 2005 7:10 pm

Thanks once again, Robert. You may be right about network issues but since I now have accessed from the same machine & a different machine on the same network, it's not a firewall thing, I would think.

I do admit to being a total ignoramus in the world of Java. and am thoroughly confused to begin with by "Java" vs. "JRE" vs. whatever "plug-in" Firefox said I was missing (which was not supposed to be true to begin with, maybe it meant some kind of *browser* plug-in necessary to run the "do you have the right JRE" test??)

Anyhow, I have appealed privately to another list member for some answers on all that (if he has the time to humor my inexperience) so as not to clutter up the list.

Meanwhile, you have explained some useful things to me that I was beginning to get a handle on but now I have a much better grip. Thanks!!

Unfortunately, what seemed to work to make Client access that demo was to completely trash everything Servoy on my box, including Developer. So I'll start over now with a clean Developer install & hope the problem won't be reintroduced ....

Harriet (now taking lunch break and will pet the cat to calm down)
Harriet_Rosenberg

Some follow-up info

Postby kazar » Sun May 22, 2005 4:01 am

Hi all!

I've been exceedingly inactive on this forum but you will see my participation grow in coming weeks and months.

Harriet works with me, so I thought I would log in to tell the rest of the story.

Mac Lesson #1: Even if you run the tools in Disk Utility just before you upgrade a computer, use the CD from your new OS after upgrading to fix permissions again. Some low-level permissions were screwed up, possibly from copying not only documents but non-apple applications back to the HD after upgrading.

Mac Lesson #2: Probably a bad idea to copy those app's rather than run their installers. Yeah, I know, I have like 200 applications and it sure seemed easier to copy them. Oh well, it ended up costing us 2 days!

Tiger Lesson: Firefox has various little problems under Tiger. Yes, we are updated to 1.0.4. However, if you launch Firefox and go to http://demo.servoy.com and click the link to check for your version of the JRE, Firefox will falsely report that you do not have the necessary "plug-in". (I also miss Lektora!)

Regards to all,

kazar
kazar

Return to Servoy Client