Performance issues

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

Performance issues

Postby Morley » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:25 pm

A new Xserve running Servoy 2.2. Servoy Client time from user sign-in to presentation of the first screen. Both machines using DSL.

G4 Tower, 400Mhz, sdRam 296Mb -- 4:10
iMac G5, 1.8Mhz, sdRam 2Gb -- 1:55

The above times are averaged across three separate launches. No major variance in times, each machine, each launch.

For comparison purposes, the same code under Servoy Developer running on Pentium4 3Ghz, 1.24Gb Ram -- 4 seconds. The faster Mac takes 29 times longer as Developer, the slower Mac takes 70 times longer.

1. Why such a dramatic disparity between Servoy Developer and Servoy Client via Servoy Server, same code, same Servoy version? I can understand Servoy Client taking possibly 10 times as long, but 30 to 70 times?

2. Why such a dramatic difference between the two Macs? Is Servoy only viable on the very latest machines?

====================

Now that we're launched there are performance issues when visiting screens for the first time. In these tests I'm clicking on my first navigation button, jumping to a fairly complex screen made up of a custom controller, a form with a tabpanel which in turn contains 4 tabpanels.

G4 Tower -- 4:20
iMac -- 2:39
Servoy Developer under Windows -- 5 seconds

Go back to the first screen -- instant on all machines.

Click the same button again -- instant on all machines.

Once the solution settles down, times are excellent, all machines. But getting there is painful in the extreme.
Morley Chalmers
7Office Inc.
Morley

Postby Odysseus » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:03 pm

This could make for an interesting reading

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436&p=9

The speeding up comes from caching records, I assume

HTH
Odysseus

Citizen of Old Europe
Odysseus

Postby bcusick » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:09 pm

Yes - form caching is the reason it's "instant" after the first load. We use lazy loading - so forms are only loaded when they are needed - and not in advance.
Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby Morley » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:17 pm

bcusick wrote:Yes - form caching is the reason it's "instant" after the first load. We use lazy loading - so forms are only loaded when they are needed - and not in advance.
Waiting more than a minute for a screen to draw creates a negative first impression for users, especially when it happens again and again as the user moves about.

Is there a way to pre-load frequently used forms?

It's been suggested that Mac OS X makes for a sluggish Servoy server platform. True? Would Linux improve performance?

Kind regards,
Morley Chalmers
7Office Inc.
Morley

Postby Odysseus » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:26 pm

It's been suggested that Mac OS X makes for a sluggish Servoy server platform. True? Would Linux improve performance?

No Bad word over Servoy. I think the article I pointed you to explains a weakness in the concept of OSX-- for the time being. As I understand it it will mostly affect the backend database not servoy.

Regards
Odysseus

Citizen of Old Europe
Odysseus

Postby Morley » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:59 pm

When downloading Servoy Client I'm getting 3000Kb networking performance. But as soon as Servoy launches networking falls to 30Kb and stays low. As soon as there's interaction between Servoy Client and Servoy Server something is severely narrowing the pipe. The modem is very busy but just crawling.

The SQL database? Probably not. Server Database Performance shows total times ranging from :008 to :599.

Anyone have insights?
Morley Chalmers
7Office Inc.
Morley

Return to Servoy Client