Problem with the Text toolbar?

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

Problem with the Text toolbar?

Postby kazar » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:07 pm

Last night I entering some data into a solution via Servoy Client, and had this problem when I wished to apply a different color to a block of text:

1-- select the block of text
2-- click on the text-color button of the Text toolbar
3-- pick a color
4-- nothing happens
5-- select the block of text again
6-- click on the text-color button again
7-- pick a color again
8-- now the text-color change "sticks"

I realized what is happening is that the first click on the toolbar button saves the record and therefore causes the text-selection to be void before choosing a color. I reduced the necessary number of steps, then, to this:

1-- click on the background of the form
2-- go back into the field, locate the text block in question and select it
3-- now click the text-color button
4-- pick a color

It is not necessary to exit the record first when using the Bold, Italic or other buttons on the toolbar.

Is this just how the text-color button works? Do I just need to RT*Manual for Client? Or is this an Issue? If so is there a workaround?

Servoy Client
Version R2 2.2.7-build 339
Java version 1.5.0_06-64 (Mac OS X)

kazar
kazar

Postby rgansevles » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:10 am

Kazar,

There are some issues with the html text editor, we are looking into a replacement component.

A workaround is to click first outside the field causing a save of the data and then select the text to be colored.

Rob
Rob Gansevles
Servoy
rgansevles

Postby ROCLASI » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:30 am

Hi Rob,

I have this same issue with an RTF area.
Is this related to the HTML text editor?
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby kazar » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:03 pm

rgansevles wrote:Kazar,

There are some issues with the html text editor, we are looking into a replacement component.

If that also fixes the broken toggle state of some of the other buttons I would be a very happy camper... or with some text styling functions we could just make our own little palette, hmmmmm (wink, wink) (and could also conditionally control text color & style ....)

A workaround is to click first outside the field causing a save of the data and then select the text to be colored.

Yes, that's the approach I noted above. But especially if there is an active vertical scrollbar on the field, this is no fun at all for the end-user, having to scroll back down to locate the text again before being able to change its color. I guess by workaround I meant a way to avoid having to exit the field.

Personally it's not my favorite idea to have colored text being used by folks, because often I find they start to use text coloring to indicate a certain state of affairs rather than requesting a little solution modification such as a new calculation or status field. For example "we color the customer name red on invoices that are more than 30 days overdue so they stand out in the list". And then when those invoices are paid, nobody goes back to change the text to black, of course, or it is not consistently maintained. And they are indicating a state with text color rather than with data.....

That said, people are very used to being able to easily apply color and styles to text in their word processor and in emails. If they are typing up a special Invoice Note to one customer, they may really want some text in red or bold italics...

my 5 a.m. riff for today,

kazar
kazar

Return to Servoy Client