Clients and the internet and network

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

Postby Westy » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:38 pm

jcompagner wrote:If you also set that one to 127.0.0.1 then every call the client does is to him self and that is routed through the tunnel also (so no direct socket connection is made either)

I do not understand when you say that every call the client does is to himself.
Westy

Postby Westy » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:55 pm

I have a customer with two locations. The local clients at the host location have no problem, however a client from the remote location keeps having trouble connecting to the repository. The same remote client is able to connect to the sample solution at http://demo.servoy.com:8080 with no problem.

The frustrating thing is that I can consistantly access the solution as a client from my own remote location with no problem (my pc has a direct internet connection and my customer's remote pc is behind a nat).

Their Servoy-admin settings are hostname 127.0.0.1, port 1099, with TwoWaySocket checked off. I had the remote client check Edit/Preferences/Services and confirm that TwoWaySocket is checked off. Just to make sure that the problem is specific to the location and not the computer I had the remote user try to access from another computer in the same remote office. That computer was also unable to connect to the repository.

Any ideas on what might be causing their remote client not to be able connect to the repository?
Westy

Postby jcompagner » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:38 pm

if that remote client is behind a NAT then the 2 way socket MUST be enabled at the server and the remote client!!

What you can do is that the remote client throws away the .servoy directory that is in the user/home dir (on windows c:\documents and settings\loginname)

Previously the demo server was configured as rmi hostname:

demo.servoy.com with 2 way socket enabled

i have changed it now to

127.0.0.1 with 2 way socket enabled.

You should always enabled 2 way socket at the server side if you are not sure if clients are all local or not.
Clients that are local can be altered on the client preferences to not use 2 way socket. So on the client the 2 way socket can be disabled even if the server has it enabled. This should work fine. The other way around will never work. (If client is enabled then server must also be enabled)

for example to have the best performance and scaling if you deploy a solution that is mostly used locally and some remote. Then the server must 2 way enabled and local clients can be disabled.

If clients will be disabled then you can never use 127.0.0.1 as a rmi host name. So if you have clients that are disabled en enabled then the rmi host name should be pointing to the same computer. If the server that is holding the solution is directly connected to the internet then rmi host name doesn't have to be filled in. If not then it has to be filled in. And that name should internally by pointing to the servoy server and externally be pointing to the firewall (the computer that routes everything to the servoy server)

I think i will change the defaults of servoy to 127.0.0.1, 2 way and ssl enabled. This combination should always work.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Server attempts to load localhost when working remotely

Postby netweaver » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:54 pm

Hi Johan
I have a win2003 server with Servoy 3.5.
I have set the inbound and outbound filter for port 1099 on the firewall, and created a virtual host in a non-servoy instance of Apache, to point an external ip/domain(http://www.freightsoft.co.za) to the default index page in the webapp/root directory of Servoy.
Please look at http://www.freightsoft.co.za

The problem is that when trying to lauch servoy client, it is always pointing to Unable to load resource: http://localhost:8080/servoy-client/servoy_client.jnlp

Help
Thanks
Marcus
jcompagner wrote:if you use 127.0.0.1 then you are using a tunnel for all the cliet<->server traffic.

without 2way socket and 127.0.0.1

If the clients wants to connect it connects directly to the server itself everytime a request is made.

if a server wants to connect it also connects directly to the client.

That last one isn't possible if clients are behind nat. So if you set 2waysocket on. The client creates a tunnel. So that when the server wants to connect it does try to connect to the client it self but uses the tunnel.

If you don't have 127.0.0.1 set then the clients still connects directly to the server for every request. If you also set that one to 127.0.0.1 then every call the client does is to him self and that is routed through the tunnel also (so no direct socket connection is made either)
Marcus Raath
Johannesburg South Africa
Servoy 3.5 & Sybase 10
netweaver

Previous

Return to Servoy Client