client freezes network device on XP machine

Questions, answers, tips and ideas on Servoy Client

client freezes network device on XP machine

Postby java_macchiato » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:04 pm

I have been testing a solution I am developing on some client machines. I have it working correctly on an older XP machine and a OS X machine. However, on my development machine, the client will not run. This is the same machine I run developer on without any problems.

The Java console gives only this information:

INFO: Servoy 3.5.2 build-515 on Windows XP using Java 1.6.0_02

The client window comes up but sticks on "Opening Solution". Finally it times out with the messages "Could not Register Client".

However, this process causes my network device to freeze completely. I can no longer reach the network at all. I can't disable or enable the device. My only option is to reboot. Aggravating! It happens every time consistently.

I have tried completely disabling the firewall.

Any known issues with XP / Servoy 3.5.2 / Java 1.6.0_02 / Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller ?
java_macchiato

Postby ROCLASI » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:56 am

Hi java_macchiato,

Check to see if your Java settings are correct.

Start > Control Panel > Java > Network Settings (first tab).
Make sure it's set to Direct Connection.

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby java_macchiato » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:49 pm

Unfortunately, changing the Java network settings has had no effect on the problem. It continues to be a big issue for me.

I am going to try upgrading my NIC driver, but I'm not optimistic.
java_macchiato

Re: client freezes network device on XP machine

Postby Jan Aleman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:31 pm

java_macchiato wrote:However, this process causes my network device to freeze completely. I can no longer reach the network at all. I can't disable or enable the device. My only option is to reboot. Aggravating! It happens every time consistently.

Has to be a driver or hardware issue. A java app (with no direct access to hardware) cannot disable a device like that.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby swingman » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:48 pm

One of our customers came across exactly the same problem today, and it was indeed a driver issue. They fixed it by getting the driver to update itself via the internet.
Christian Batchelor
Certified Servoy Developer
Batchelor Associates Ltd, London, UK
http://www.batchelorassociates.co.uk

http://www.postgresql.org - The world's most advanced open source database.
swingman

Postby java_macchiato » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:39 pm

Indeed, after some struggle, updating the network device driver fixed the problem. It's odd, though. I've developed literally hundreds of network aware java applications on this machine and Servoy client (not developer) is the only thing that has ever frozen the device. No matter - I'm glad it's resolved.
java_macchiato

same player shoots again

Postby lesouef » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:16 pm

I could not believe it, but since I had been working on this very same problem for a day now, I gave it a try just to eliminate the option!
And it is right!!! This PC is 100% up to date, its network card never ever froze... Why Windows udpate did not do it remains a mystery... I went to the NIC property tab to ask for an update (on the web only), and it did it on the fly. Why is the Servoy client the only app able to that is also a mystery to me. I was not suspecting this at all (as Jan Aleman said) Java does not "touch" the hardware at all.
To help the next user who will be trapped (I am convinced I won't be last) I mention that it did work with version 2.2 before and version 3.5 when the server was on the LAN (now outside).
And it is probably worth to mention the NIC type and driver version since guess what? it is the same as java_macchiato...
Marvell Yukon 88E8053PCI-E Gig ethernet
guilty driver: 8.41.1.3
working one: 10.51.1.9
lesouef

Return to Servoy Client