Bootstrap UI

Forum to discuss the new web client version of Servoy.

Bootstrap UI

Postby Gordon McLean » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:10 am

Hi
In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw_fS2ZxCVc - Jan Aleman suggests that using UI frameworks like Bootstrap UI is simply a drop in, I think the quote was "simply drop into Servoy" has anyone done this and if so where do you start ?

Are there any tips on including the likes of Telerik, OpenEdge or BootstrapUI into the Servoy environment. In the impressive demo produced by Paolo in the same video the components appeared to be pre installed on the left hand pane of his screen.

As far as I can tell the components from these various providers are a little more than a "drop in" they are more of a "Servoyise" the component that requires quite a lot of work exposing the various functions to Servoy

As I say if this is a drop in fantastic, if its something that can be purchased, OK an acceptable cost but if its a heap of coding then that may well be a whole other matter.

Best
Gordon
Gordon McLean
Clickdigital.com
Gordon McLean

Re: Bootstrap UI

Postby sbutler » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:18 pm

I don't know of many components that would just "drop in". Servoy utilized the AngularJS framework so you can use those components to get you a good starting point. Servoy specification file (.spec file in the component) is a format that is proprietary to Servoy. It just a JSON file, but you won't find any standard web components that include the specification file. That file tells the Servoy environment how to map the components functionality into Servoy, among other things. In my experience, each individual component takes between 5 minutes to several hours, depending on the complexity. So, while they don't just "drop-in", it is pretty developer friendly and doesn't usually take huge amounts of effort. Over time, I hope to see some more web components showing up on ServoyForge.
Scott Butler
iTech Professionals, Inc.
SAN Partner

Servoy Consulting & Development
Servoy University- Training Videos
Servoy Components- Plugins, Beans, and Web Components
Servoy Guy- Tips & Resources
ServoyForge- Open Source Components
sbutler
Servoy Expert

Postby Gordon McLean » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:32 pm

Thanks Scott,

So to get an external component into Servoy your creating a new Servoy Component and copy/pasting the JS and HTML files from the one you want and adding a spec file (in super broad terms obviously)

Cheers
Gordon
Gordon McLean
Clickdigital.com
Gordon McLean

Postby sbutler » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:57 pm

Yes, exactly.

Once you have them as Servoy Components, there is a way to package them up and send them to another developer for them to consume. However there isn't any way yet to automatically convert a generic Angular component to a Servoy Component.
Scott Butler
iTech Professionals, Inc.
SAN Partner

Servoy Consulting & Development
Servoy University- Training Videos
Servoy Components- Plugins, Beans, and Web Components
Servoy Guy- Tips & Resources
ServoyForge- Open Source Components
sbutler
Servoy Expert

Return to Servoy NGClient