Structure of an NG client solution

Forum to discuss the new web client version of Servoy.

Structure of an NG client solution

Postby steve1376656734 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:50 pm

Hi,

I am trying to get my head around the best way to structure an NG client solution that is made up of a number of modules and it has raised a number of questions.

1. When developing the module I install web packages into the module in order to use the components. If this module is then included in a solution with other modules that have the same web packages installed but the other modules have different versions of the web package which will be used when running developer, the latest version or the one installed in that module?
  2. When I then make a WAR deployment I understand that only one version of the package will be deployed but which one?
  3. What happens if there are breaking changes between version? How will this be shown in developer when one module was built with one version (and works with it) and another was built with a different version?

I have tried to search the wiki for information on this but don't seem to find anything. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks
Steve
Steve
SAN Developer
There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't
steve1376656734

Re: Structure of an NG client solution

Postby Andrei Costescu » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:31 pm

You should keep only one version of that package, even if it is used from different modules. You can have a special module (or more) that just contains a web package (or more) and use that from the modules that need it.

For example you need web package X in modules A, B and C.
You can make a module M that contains that web package. Modules A, B and C can use M as a module and then they all use the same version of X. I think this way is easier to track/manage such dependencies.
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby steve1376656734 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:38 pm

OK - so I have a module (called WebPackages) that I then include in any modules that need the web components and I keep this module up to date with the versions of the packages that I want. Sounds like a plan :D

Might be worth putting some info in the Wiki on best practices for structuring an NG client solution.

Thanks
Steve
Steve
SAN Developer
There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't
steve1376656734

Postby Andrei Costescu » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:23 pm

Yes, I agree.
I already created a case for adding this.
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Return to Servoy NGClient