How to perform i18n management?

Forum to discuss the new web client version of Servoy.

How to perform i18n management?

Postby c.groefsema » Fri May 10, 2019 1:08 pm

Hi everyone,

As the development of our application progresses, new i18n keys are created and others become obsolete. But the message/property files aren't automatically updated, and, unless a developer remembers to remove an entry that because of his/her code changes is no longer in use, these files tend to keep growing (and are indeed quite large by now).
Since we're about to implement a new localization, we'll have a translation bureau providing the translations that we need. It would be a waste of money if they go over obsolete entries however, and so we want to make sure that those are removed from the files beforehand.

How can we find out which entries are no longer in use? I had hoped the Servoy wiki page on I18N Internationalization (https://wiki.servoy.com/display/DOCS/Internationalization+-+I18N) mentioned something about this, but alas. Is there any tool or method we can use - how do we go about this?

Thanks!
c.groefsema

Re: How to perform i18n management?

Postby lwjwillemsen » Mon May 13, 2019 10:31 am

+1

Regards,
Lambert Willemsen
Vision Development BV
lwjwillemsen

Re: How to perform i18n management?

Postby sbutler » Fri May 17, 2019 4:41 pm

I don't think you'll find an easy solution to this. i18n keys can be used in many places. labels, value lists, display formats, in source code, jasper reports, custom java plugins, etc. So it would be difficult to find them all. I suppose maybe possible if you have some regex search through your workspace source code, but would be difficult to be 100% reliable.
Scott Butler
iTech Professionals, Inc.
SAN Partner

Servoy Consulting & Development
Servoy University- Training Videos
Servoy Components- Plugins, Beans, and Web Components
Servoy Guy- Tips & Resources
ServoyForge- Open Source Components
sbutler
Servoy Expert

Return to Servoy NGClient