Migrating web client tables to NG grids

Forum to discuss the new web client version of Servoy.

Migrating web client tables to NG grids

Postby drookwood » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:35 am

I have a large solution running in web client with lots of table view forms, including buttons and graphics on each row. I have the solution running locally in NG and although it works, the tables are slow to redraw and I'm keen to convert the table view forms to grids - does anyone have any tips, or perhaps tools they have used or built to speed up the migration process?
David Rookwood

SAN Developer
drookwood

Re: Migrating web client tables to NG grids

Postby mboegem » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:39 pm

I've done this using solutionModel.
It takes the info from the columns and recreate it using NG-grid.

You could do the same, resolving your specific cases.
It won't be a 100% migration, as you need to resolve things manually like onRender and maybe replace media icons with fontAwesome icons (which boosts performance as well)

Hope this helps
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby pitc » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:09 pm

Great ideas Marc,
By the way is it now recommended by the Servoy Development community to convert to NG Grid or Power rather than use tables for better performance?
I skipped the tables and went straight to convert Smart Client tables to NG grids.
Tom
prospect-saas.com
pitc

Postby drookwood » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:04 pm

That sounds interesting Marc. I've no experience with solution model - would you be up for a more detailed conversation about you achieved the migration and what is and isn't possible using this route? I have played around a bit in the past with NG grids and using fontAwesome icons instead of graphics so I have some grasp of how that could work but I feel Ihave a monster job on my hands to move the whole solution away from old web client ways of doing things - any assistance/guidance gratefully received!
David Rookwood

SAN Developer
drookwood

Postby sean » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:57 pm

Hi David,

Attached are two scripts that can help to migrate table view forms to NG grid components.
These are provided by my colleague, who used them in a prior project. They are not supported libraries and are given "as-is", but let us know if you have trouble.

The idea is that you use the solution model to generate a form and then you can persist (servoyDeveloper.save()) that form and continue to enhance it manually.
Try it first on a small sample.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Sean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Software Engineer
Servoy USA
sean

Postby mboegem » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:27 pm

pitc wrote:Great ideas Marc,
By the way is it now recommended by the Servoy Development community to convert to NG Grid or Power rather than use tables for better performance?
I skipped the tables and went straight to convert Smart Client tables to NG grids.

Recommended or not, fact is that I've experienced better performance using NG-grids.
Seeing the 'old-fashioned' table views sometimes hanging/displaying the loading-dots for ages vs. NG-grid that loads the same data, but is ready in a fashionable time.
This can absolutely be a result of re-writing things like onRender to CSS and media images to FontAwesome.
Bottomline it is the result that matters, using NG-grids enables you to implement web-stuff like CSS and FontAwesome properly.

Using the new bootstrap webcomponents like label/datalabel/textbox vs. the native Servoy ones will unlock similar things.
Marc Boegem
• Freelance Developer

mboegem

Postby mboegem » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:29 pm

drookwood wrote:That sounds interesting Marc. I've no experience with solution model - would you be up for a more detailed conversation about you achieved the migration and what is and isn't possible using this route? I have played around a bit in the past with NG grids and using fontAwesome icons instead of graphics so I have some grasp of how that could work but I feel Ihave a monster job on my hands to move the whole solution away from old web client ways of doing things - any assistance/guidance gratefully received!

I have sent you a PM.
Marc Boegem
• Freelance Developer

mboegem

Return to Servoy NGClient