"Tutorial Week" at Servoy Magazine

Home for older / inactive topics

"Tutorial Week" at Servoy Magazine

Postby david » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:16 am

The number one question I get is "where do I find information on how to develop in Servoy?" This week is dedicated to helping you out with your quest.

For starters, I have a backlog of tips that I need to get through. Marcel and I will comb through the ones that are most applicable to the new user and post them.

The "feather in the cap" for the week is a bunch of new video tutorials by Bob Cusick and Jan Aleman. I'll post one each day. They cover:

Finding Data
Intro to Dialogs
Intro to Methods
Intro to Reports
Intro to the Debugger
Custom Controller
Style Sheets
Type Ahead Fields
Using Tooltips

Towards the end of the week, I'll post details on Servoy training coming up in November 8 to 12 in downtown Washington D.C. by yours truly. It will be hands-on format for a whole week: three days of "Servoy Bootcamp" followed by two days of "Servoy Methodology." I recommend staying over a weekend to catch the DC sites (and recover from brain meltdown!) while you're at it.

Servoy Magazine
david

Postby david » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:42 pm

Tutorial week is coming to a close with the last of Bob's videos being posted today.

Since the last video is about tab panels (easily the coolest invention since sliced bread), I've posted a fun little quiz to go along with it.

Head on over to Servoy Magazine and see if you can identify how many portals are in the screenshot!

- David
david

Postby david » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:55 pm

The tab panel quiz turned into quite a discussion (complete with Potter references) so I'm extending the fun to another level. Head on over to Servoy Magazine and see if you are a candidate for the latest challenge: I want to see who has implemented the most levels of embedded tab panels in a working solution.

I'm looking forward to seeing what craziness people have cooked up!

David Workman
Servoy Magazine
david

Re: "Tutorial Week" at Servoy Magazine

Postby ellenmeserow » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:15 am

I found these Tutorials ENORMOUSLY useful. I can see you all are doing everything you can to document Servoy so we can all come up to speed quickly (esp those of us who are from FileMaker). Can I say -- MORE TUTORIALS? Suggested topics: a more complicated custom controller, use of advanced controller functions, managing sybase backend (crucial to filemaker people), automatic exports to excel, interactions with third party products (mappoint, outlook, word merges, etc). I could come up with many many more, but imagine all the things FileMaker people have done in high end solutions that now have outgrown FileMaker. Teaching developers to do these things in Servoy quickly is essential to migration. THANKS FOR THOSE TUTORIALS YOU'VE ALREADY MADE! :)
ellenmeserow

Postby bcusick » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:10 am

Ellen,

Thanks for your kind words and feedback! Please feel free to email me offline with your list of topics - bcusick@servoy.com.

We're working on trying to release 2 to 4 new tutorials per month.

Bob Cusick
bcusick

Return to Archive