Apple M1 Support

Q&A regarding installation and issues getting started with Servoy

Re: Apple M1 Support

Postby rafig » Tue May 11, 2021 6:17 pm

rafig wrote:It appears that Servoy 2021.03 release candidate 2 (release number 3641) works on Apple M1

Further to this post, I have to say that I have not managed to get Servoy to run reliably on the M1 Mac, it crashes out with an exception caused by the JIT compiler.
I hope that a future release will work better (maybe if Servoy can look at a version they can release with an ARM based Java?) and then there might also be some performance benefits, as currently it doesn’t (when working) run any faster than on a normal (Intel) Mac.
Servoy Certified Developer
rafig

Postby huber » Fri May 14, 2021 9:49 am

Hi Rafi

As far as I have read the Eclipse Version Servoy is using is not currently an ARM based version. On the eclipse.org website I see an ARM version for Linus, not yet for macOS. Neither for Java on ARM, as you mention.

So you wouldn't expect running these apps on Rosetta 2 (emulation) does run faster than on a Intel Mac, would you? I think it's even a great surprise if it runs in this configuration more or less as fast as on a Intel CPU.
We will get all the (speed) benefits when everything runs natively on ARM. But it's obvious that will take some time.

And yes, I am also waiting impatiently for this to happen ;-)

Regards,
Robert Huber
7r AG, Switzerland
SAN Developer
http://www.seven-r.ch
huber

Postby robert.edelmann » Wed May 19, 2021 2:22 pm

You could try to install a JDK from Azul (e.g. https://www.azul.com/downloads/?version=java-15-mts&os=macos&architecture=arm-64-bit&package=jdk-fx if you want OpenFX) and change the servoy.ini (/Applications/Servoy.app/Contents/Eclipse/servoy.ini) to use the new Java (under the line with -vm).
mit freundlichen Grüßen
Robert Stefan Edelmann
robert.edelmann

Postby rafig » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:58 pm

Hi all,
I finally gave in after Apple latest sales pitch & got myself a new 14" M1 MacBook Pro.
The latest Servoy launches, installs, sets up etc. on initial launch, but then crashes on subsequent launches (for me).
I followed Omar's incredibly helpful post in the 'Big Sur' thread
https://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=22902&p=122697
which has allowed me to launch Servoy again.
BUT, I really want to be able to take advantage of some of the massive speed & power of the new chip, so wanted to use an 'Apple Silcon' (arm) native Java, so tried installing the one mentioned above by Robert, but cannot get it to work (I am changing the path in the servoy.ini to the correct path).
I have tried downloading each of the DMG installers for Java 11,13,15,17, as well as the zip/tar files to just expand in to a directory, but cannot get it to launch them (I'm not getting the 'Security' request or anything).
I am getting a warning
Failed to load the JNI shared library "path-to-my-libjli.dylib"
which I think is because Eclipse is x86 & not aarch64/arm64 architecture.
Has anyone managed to use a native ARM Java with the latest Servoy that can tell me how I can do it??
Or can Servoy produce a 4th download option back to the old 'JAR' version of Servoy that just used whatever version of Java was installed on the user's computer?? (I tried the Linux one, but couldn't get it to run ;-) )
I'd really love to be able to do my development 'natively' on my new Mac :wink:
Thanks,
Rafi
rafig

Postby ROCLASI » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:53 pm

I see here that Eclipse has an Arm64 build.
It would be interesting to see if the Servoy Developer feature works with it.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby rafig » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:37 pm

ROCLASI wrote:I see here that Eclipse has an Arm64 build.
It would be interesting to see if the Servoy Developer feature works with it.

Well that looks promising...
Maybe if Servoy released the 'Servoy Eclipse Plugin' in a way that would allow us to use that ARM Eclipse, but with Servoy in it ;-)
Thanks
(I'm surprised nobody on here has managed to find a combo that allows Servoy Mac to run with a native M1 Java...)
rafig

Postby ROCLASI » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:39 am

rafig wrote:Maybe if Servoy released the 'Servoy Eclipse Plugin' in a way that would allow us to use that ARM Eclipse, but with Servoy in it ;-)

Well, you can add the Servoy update URL in Preferences window > Install/Update > Available Software Sites, enable it and hit the reload button so it is primed to go :).
Then under Menubar > Help > Install New Software... you can install Servoy Developer.

Sadly I have no M1 laying around (yet) or I would have tried it already.
Robert Ivens

--
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby rafig » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:14 pm

ROCLASI wrote:Well, you can add the Servoy update URL in Preferences window > Install/Update > Available Software Sites, enable it and hit the reload button so it is primed to go :).
Then under Menubar > Help > Install New Software... you can install Servoy Developer.
Sadly I have no M1 laying around (yet) or I would have tried it already.

Great thinking Robert!
I downloaded that Eclipse, but it didn't run at first as I just migrated all my old Mac stuff to new one, so it had the Intel Java installed.
I then installed the latest Azul native Java ( https://www.azul.com/downloads/?os=macos&architecture=arm-64-bit&package=jdk ) & it launched...
BUT, when I tried to install Servoy by adding the Servoy URL, it won't install with the following error
Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software being installed: Servoy Feature 2021.9.0.3703 (com.servoy.eclipse.feature.feature.group 2021.9.0.3703)
Missing requirement: Servoy Feature 2021.9.0.3703 (com.servoy.eclipse.feature.feature.group 2021.9.0.3703) requires 'org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu; com.equo.chromium.feature.feature.group 80.0.5' but it could not be found

So not sure how to progress (although looking at 'About' box, it seems as if there is Equinox p2 backward compatibility support in it...)
Might play a bit more another time
Thanks
rafig

Postby rafig » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:00 pm

Hi all,
trying in this post first for an answer as it's kind of the right heading.
Some old clients of mine, who I haven't needed to help since upgrading to my M1 MBP now need some work done.
Both are using Smart Client in Servoy 7.4.x (one 7.4.8, one 7.4.11) [& also both are using David Workman's DataSutra framework]
Unfortunately Servoy 7 says it's missing J2SE-1.5, so I'm stuck trying to get it to work (I got this message after trying to run it with Open JDK 11 that seems to work for later Servoy's)
[I have been forced to install for the 7.4.11 client a copy in windows 11 running under the latest version of Parallels for M1 Mac pointing it at my Mac 'git' folder for workspace, but this is not ideal ;-) ]
Has anyone got any idea of how I can get it to run in my macOS environment, or themselves managed it??

(And I know that ideally I need to get these clients to update to a newer version of Servoy for many reasons, but that might not be so easy in the current economic climate...)

TIA
Rafi
rafig

Postby jcompagner » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:15 pm

we talk here about the developer of 7.4.x right?
that should i think work fine if you use a jdk 1.8 (x86 so you need to use rosetta )
and then really just point to that jdk in the servoy.ini, the eclipse (underneath servoy) should work fine, else you need to tweak the info.plist
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby ROCLASI » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:15 pm

Hi Rafi,

I have Developer 7.4.11 running on M1 using (non-native) JDK 1.8.0_xxx
Just install that JDK (next to your native JVMs) and then update your info.plist in servoy.app/Contents/ like so:
Code: Select all
<array>
   <string>-vm</string><string>/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_291.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java</string>
   <string>-keyring</string><string>~/.eclipse_keyring</string>
   <string>-showlocation</string>
</array>

(I removed all the commented out options for clarity)

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens

--
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby rafig » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:46 pm

ROCLASI wrote:Hi Rafi,
I have Developer 7.4.11 running on M1 using (non-native) JDK 1.8.0_xxx
Hope this helps.

OMG!!!
Thank you SO much Robert, that works & really helps (I can stop using the Windows version now ;-) )
[I knew someone would have done it on here :D ]
rafig

Postby swingman » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:54 pm

Hi Robert,

I'm holding out getting rid of my Intel MacBook Pro as I have a single client left on SmartClient, Servoy 8.2.
Their system is already converted to ng and Servoy 2021.03, but we are launching in June.

So, I would be able to run 8.2, in the same way as you are describing to Rafi, on a new MacBook Pro running Monterey?

Thanks,

Christian
Christian Batchelor
Certified Servoy Developer
Batchelor Associates Ltd, London, UK
http://www.batchelorassociates.co.uk

http://www.postgresql.org - The world's most advanced open source database.
swingman

Postby ROCLASI » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:31 pm

Hi Christian,
swingman wrote:So, I would be able to run 8.2, in the same way as you are describing to Rafi, on a new MacBook Pro running Monterey

I didn't have 8.2.x installed so I just did. Without changing anything it fails to launch. Added the 1.8.0 JDK link does make it launch but I can't click on anything. Not even the menubar works when I click on it.
Changing it to use JDK 11 also fails. So I guess Developer 8.2. is dead on M1.
So I would hold onto that Intel Mac for a while until you have been able to upgrade it all to 2020.x and up.
As for Servoy Client 8.2 I am pretty confident that should still work on M1.

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens

--
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby rafig » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:41 pm

ROCLASI wrote:Hi Christian,
swingman wrote:So, I would be able to run 8.2, in the same way as you are describing to Rafi, on a new MacBook Pro running Monterey

I didn't have 8.2.x installed so I just did. Without changing anything it fails to launch. Added the 1.8.0 JDK link does make it launch but I can't click on anything. Not even the menubar works when I click on it.
Changing it to use JDK 11 also fails. So I guess Developer 8.2. is dead on M1.
So I would hold onto that Intel Mac for a while until you have been able to upgrade it all to 2020.x and up.
As for Servoy Client 8.2 I am pretty confident that should still work on M1.

Hope this helps.

Maybe try Omar's hint in the 'Big Sur' thread, editing the 'servoy.ini' file with something like
Code: Select all
-vm
/Users/<yourpathto>/jdk-11.0.2.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/jli/libjli.dylib

as this worked for me with a Servoy 2019 version, so might with a v8??
rafig

PreviousNext

Return to I'm just getting started