Apple M1 Support

Q&A regarding installation and issues getting started with Servoy

Re: Apple M1 Support

Postby rafig » Tue May 11, 2021 6:17 pm

rafig wrote:It appears that Servoy 2021.03 release candidate 2 (release number 3641) works on Apple M1

Further to this post, I have to say that I have not managed to get Servoy to run reliably on the M1 Mac, it crashes out with an exception caused by the JIT compiler.
I hope that a future release will work better (maybe if Servoy can look at a version they can release with an ARM based Java?) and then there might also be some performance benefits, as currently it doesn’t (when working) run any faster than on a normal (Intel) Mac.
Servoy Certified Developer
rafig

Postby huber » Fri May 14, 2021 9:49 am

Hi Rafi

As far as I have read the Eclipse Version Servoy is using is not currently an ARM based version. On the eclipse.org website I see an ARM version for Linus, not yet for macOS. Neither for Java on ARM, as you mention.

So you wouldn't expect running these apps on Rosetta 2 (emulation) does run faster than on a Intel Mac, would you? I think it's even a great surprise if it runs in this configuration more or less as fast as on a Intel CPU.
We will get all the (speed) benefits when everything runs natively on ARM. But it's obvious that will take some time.

And yes, I am also waiting impatiently for this to happen ;-)

Regards,
Robert Huber
7r AG, Switzerland
SAN Developer
http://www.seven-r.ch
huber

Postby robert.edelmann » Wed May 19, 2021 2:22 pm

You could try to install a JDK from Azul (e.g. https://www.azul.com/downloads/?version=java-15-mts&os=macos&architecture=arm-64-bit&package=jdk-fx if you want OpenFX) and change the servoy.ini (/Applications/Servoy.app/Contents/Eclipse/servoy.ini) to use the new Java (under the line with -vm).
mit freundlichen Grüßen
Robert Stefan Edelmann
robert.edelmann

Previous

Return to I'm just getting started