Error creating solution

Discuss all problems you have with Servoy here. It might help to mention the Servoy version and Operating System version you are using

Error creating solution

Postby ylockson » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:04 pm

I had created a Servoy solution named say xxx that I then decided to delete.

Now, when trying to create a solution named xxx, I get the following error message:
A project with this name already exists in the workspace

I've tried every suggestion obtained on the net (such as deleting the folder located in the sub-directories of .metadata ) but to no avail.
ylockson

Re: Error creating solution

Postby Andrei Costescu » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:41 pm

Window -> Show view -> Other -> Navigator
Do you see the project in there? If you do, delete it from there.

If you don't then have a look on your HDD to see if your project still exists as a folder in the workspace folder. If it does, then you probably didn't check the "delete project contents on disk" when you initially deleted it, so it was only not part of the workspace, but you can't create a new one cause it would overlap with existing folder on disk. In this case you can use File -> Import -> Existing projects into workspace to make it visible in the workspace again, or simply delete it from disk manually if you no longer need it.

If none of the above helps, and you don't have lots of workspace data saved in .metadata that would be a headache to restore, you can backup/delete that entire .metadata folder and then when you start Servoy again do a File -> Import -> Existing projects for all remaining projects (and then restore what else is needed for these remaining projects, like Team -> Share project... and such).
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby ylockson » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:51 am

It works as per your instructions. For anyone else reading this page, in my set up, deleted projects can be found in the properties panel at:
Window -> Show View -> Project Explorer

Thanks Andrei.
ylockson

Postby Andrei Costescu » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:10 pm

You are welcome.
Does this happen to you always? (when you delete a solution from solution explorer) It sounds like you can reproduce it.
A project that is visible in Project Explorer / Navigator but not in solution explorer, either is not a solution (doesn't have the Servoy solution nature any more, or never did - it's another type of project) or is closed/corrupted/out of sync in some way making it impossible to determine if it's supposed to be a solution or not.

What are the exact steps you take?
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby ylockson » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi Andrei,

1. Before answering, I quickly checked whether I could reproduce the error but was unable to. I was able to delete a blank solution and recreate it (using the same name) as many times as I tried.
2. I almost always hibernate my Windows 7 computer while leaving the programs unclosed (vs shutting down that will automatically close all programs). I wonder whether this could be the cause of my woes.

Regards.

Yan
ylockson

Postby Andrei Costescu » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:16 am

No, hibernate should have nothing to do with it.
It is possible that a partial delete happened and then failed - if you had files/folders from the project open in some other application that disallowed the deletion of files/folders, or because of some exception (you would have this mentioned by some message in the workspace log). Anyway I'm glad it works now.
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Return to Discuss possible Issues and Bugs