Failed to validate certificate.

Discuss all problems you have with Servoy here. It might help to mention the Servoy version and Operating System version you are using

Failed to validate certificate.

Postby bevil » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:21 pm

Hi Servoy friends.

Twice recently, including this morning, I have calls from a few clients with complaints that their Servoy will suddenly not open on any of their machines. The error is "Failed to validate certificate. The application will not be executed".

This is very concerning because it suddenly disables all users (although in a few cases, one or two could still work while others not). This issue happened today with two clients calling with this problem. I was out with other clients, so couldn't do anything about it, but by the time I did look at it, it had resolved itself.

I spoke to a Servoy friend who said he had also seen it (on old and new Servoy versions) suggested it might be something to do with some kind of time synchronisation - which would make sense considering it is clearly a certificate issue. It then starts to work after a while by itself.

I would very much like to not have this happen as it brings our client to a full stop, and would be very grateful for any pointers on what is going wrong or what to fix..

Anyone else seen this?
bevil

Re: Failed to validate certificate.

Postby rafig » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:36 pm

I'm a 'Servoy friend' :wink:
Here is what my client sent me
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-04 at 09.30.31.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-04 at 09.30.31.jpeg (335.11 KiB) Viewed 652 times
Servoy Certified Developer
rafig

Postby bevil » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:17 pm

Hi Servoy Friend.

Yep, exactly the same error on my client (although it seems your user is on Windows, while mine are mostly on Macs - it seems that this issue is platform independent..

On mine, the Name: is j2db, while on yours, Servoy SmartClient.

Very frustrating problem. Hopefully there is a quick and easy fix.

:)

Bevil
bevil

Postby sbutler » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:43 pm

Generally, not a good idea to be using the Smart Client with Servoy's certificate. How do your clients know they should trust the publisher "Servoy"? You should probably get your own code signing certificate and sign it with your own company name. Especially since Smart Client end of life date has been announced, which means you'll have to sign them yourself eventually if you wish to continue with Smart Client past that point.
Scott Butler
iTech Professionals, Inc.
SAN Partner

Servoy Consulting & Development
Servoy University- Training Videos
Servoy Components- Plugins, Beans, and Web Components
Servoy Guy- Tips & Resources
ServoyForge- Open Source Components
sbutler
Servoy Expert

Postby garroyo » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:55 am

bevil wrote:Hi Servoy Friend.

Yep, exactly the same error on my client (although it seems your user is on Windows, while mine are mostly on Macs - it seems that this issue is platform independent..

On mine, the Name: is j2db, while on yours, Servoy SmartClient.

Very frustrating problem. Hopefully there is a quick and easy fix.

:)

Bevil

You can bypass this Smartclient warning by accessing the Java Settings or Java Control Panel, "Advanced" tab. Look for the option "Perform signed code certificate revocation checks on" and choose the first option "Publisher certificate only."
This way, this warning will not appear and Smartclient can be run
garroyo

Return to Discuss possible Issues and Bugs