Web Hosting Providers

Using Servoy to administrate the content of your website? Discuss all webrelated Servoy topics on this forum!

Web Hosting Providers

Postby gte451f » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:07 am

Can anyone tell me if they know of web hosting providers who will allow you to install Servoy Server as part of your hosting package?

Put another way, my plan is to contact a web hosting company and purchase a monthly service with a mysql database. I'll use php to develop a customer interface to the data stored in the mysql database. I'll ask them to install the servoy servor on their machine and have our employess access the SAME mysql database using the servoy client.

Customer use HTML/PHP becuase it's works for the lowest common denominator for the general public.

Employee's use Servoy for the robust reporting/printing/formating features it has.

Is this a standard deployment? Does the Servoy Server sit on the same box as the MYSQL server? Should it atleast sit in the same LAN?

Thanks! I have looked for different types of setups on the board with no luck.
gte451f

Postby Bert » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:07 am

Hi,
Did you ever check out Servoy Magazine !
There's an article from David Worksman about a CMS wich uses the same ISP where his website tables reside.

Hope this helps...
Bert de Graaff
ATB Software Servoy Developer manage your business anywhere
Bert

Postby bcusick » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:50 am

We had a couple of people interested in this. Here's what I found out:

If you are interested in investigating hosting yourself, the service provider I was using was FluidHosting.com. I had no problems running Servoy and Firebird on their servers once all the GUI libraries were installed.

Hope this helps,

Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby david » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:23 am

We run our Servoy server in-house and have several named db connections to our ISP (www.pointinspace.com) to manage the databases for our website. Speed is fine but we are on T1's and there aren't very many hops to our ISP (I think pretty important). This arrangement allows us to combine the website data with our in-house data in the same solutions -- pretty slick stuff we think.

I can see an advantage of having the Servoy Server at the same location as the database for a possible speed boost and not having to worry about packet loss (not a problem in 8 months for us) -- don't have any hard numbers though. We are happy with our arrangement for the flexibility it gives us.

As I put more and more of the business on Servoy's shoulders, the issues of replication and uptime is next on the agenda. Once 2.0 is out, we'll be figuring out our processes in this regard.

- david
david

Return to Web Development