multiple simultaneous solutions on 1 machine

Using Servoy to administrate the content of your website? Discuss all webrelated Servoy topics on this forum!

multiple simultaneous solutions on 1 machine

Postby adamk » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:07 pm

I'd like to run 3 separate Servoy solutions on the same machine at the same time. The solutions have some table names in common. Each solution includes a web site. Is there a way to do this?
adamk

Re: multiple simultaneous solutions on 1 machine

Postby IT2Be » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:30 pm

Sure you can do that. You could use a deeplink to the solution directly...
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby adamk » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:48 pm

What about the duplicate table names? Won't they conflict with each other? Or can I really run 3 solutions with duplicate tables names together with no problem?
adamk

Postby Joas » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:01 pm

adamk wrote:can I really run 3 solutions with duplicate tables names together with no problem?

Yes, you can.

If your solutions don't use the same data, they should connect to different databases, and then it doesn't matter if the table names are the same.
On the other hand, if you want your solutions to share the same data, you should use the same database connection for all of them. Then you'll also have data broadcasting between solutions.
Joas de Haan
Yield Software Development
Need help on your project? yieldsd.com
Joas
Site Admin

Postby adamk » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:22 pm

I don't want the solutions to share data. The 3 solutions are actually 3 different variations of the same solution that are used by customers with different needs.

I forgot to mention something that is probably pretty important. Not only are the table names the same in the 3 solutions, but the database and log file names are also the same. I know I can run multiple solutions at the same time, but can I have Servoy look in multiple database folders to get the database files? Naturally, I can't have more than 1 file with the same name in 1 folder.
adamk

Postby ROCLASI » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi Adam,

If you want 3 different solutions to use their own database then, I think, you have 2 choices.
1) rename the database/log files (not sure if you can do that without creating a new one and unload/load, but you might) and point each solution to their own database connection.
2) have 3 Servoy server instances each in their own directory and let them run on different port numbers

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby adamk » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:59 pm

All the solutions have to be hosted on port 80, so I guess I'll need to unload the database files to new ones with different names. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this because of time constraints.

The machine that I want to host 3 solutions on is only a backup for 3 separate machines. In case the 3 machines go down (maybe a truck knocks down the telephone pole outside killing my internet connection or something), I want to be able to quickly move the data to a machine in a different location with as little downtime as possible. Loading and unloading database files takes time.

I'll look into using virtual machines to see if that will work.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.
adamk

Postby automazione » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:18 pm

adamk wrote: I want to be able to quickly move the data to a machine in a different location with as little downtime as possible. Loading and unloading database files takes time.

Sounds like you should start considering a Servoy cluster: http://www.servoy.com/generic.jsp?mt=39 ... omy_id=895
Enrico Arata
Servoy Italia
automazione

Return to Web Development