Clients stay alive (Web-Client 5.1.4)

Using Servoy to administrate the content of your website? Discuss all webrelated Servoy topics on this forum!

Re: Clients stay alive (Web-Client 5.1.4)

Postby marcelb » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:18 pm

It has 1024mb, what is the max? It seems that at a certain point the java process starts to consume 100% CPU continuously, this probably is at the moment he reaches this 1Gb ceiling...

The OS is a Windows Server and we have 4Gb available but I remember that increasing the amount didn't seem to reflect in the amount of memory shown at the servoy admin page, are there several setting for this?

In the mean while we received an intermediate 5.1.4i2 so our clients problem is solved for now.
Marcel Boers
Axerrio Business Solutions
http://www.axerrio.com
marcelb

Postby jcompagner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:26 pm

the max memory you can assign is depending on the type of jvm you have installed (and if the os is 64 bit)

if java is a 32 bit install then the complete process can take up to 2GB, so the max heap will be i guess around 1.8GB or even less.

a 64 bit java this limit isnt there. I think there the limit is way beyond what we can put into a server at this moment..
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby martinh » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:05 am

Is

[fix] 295716 Sessions remain open on server

as mentioned in the releasenotes for 5.2 Beta 3 the fix for this problem?
Martin
------------------------------------------------
Servoy Developer
Version 5.2.10/5.2.13
Java version 1.6 update 31
Database SQL Server 2008 R2
martinh

Postby martinh » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:11 am

I also had the problem that Janssenjos noticed when writing this case.

I made a request that could help him also.
I added a request that you can assign a maximum nr of licenses to a solution.
That can also help to minimize problems in a case like this in a SAAS setup.

By assigning a maximum nr of licenses to a solution, you can avoid that some webshop takes all the available licenses and there are no other licenses left for other solutions (for other customers).

By limiting the nr of licenses per solution, you can also avoid angry customers.

I hope Servoy will implement this in the next 5.2 release.
Martin
Servoy Developer
Version 5.2.10/5.2.13
martinh

Postby Harjo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:54 am

limiting the clients (=license) per solution, or per tenant, is allready possible.

//run on startup for each client
application.addClientInfo("someUniqueIdentifier")

//then get the number of clients with that info
var vCount = application.getClientCountForInfo("someUniqueIdentifier")

based on that count, you can decide, if clients are able to login, or not. if not, than log them out...
this way, you have in control, how many clients can connect per solution, or based per tenant, in a solution...
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
Servoy Certified Developer
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby pbakker » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:43 pm

This can be easily implemented inside your solution:
Code: Select all
//in the onsolutionOpen:
if (application.getActiveClientCount(true) >= x) { //x can be stored in the Db for example
   //Notify user somehow
   application.exit()
}

Or, if you need it to not just be solution based, you can also utilize a more finegrained mechanism to your liking, by adding a certain value to the Client using application.addClientInfo when the user logs in (the value being for example the name of your SaaS tennant) and checking the number of clients with the same value before allowing the user to login by utilizing application.getClientCountForInfo().

I think these two mechanisms will allow you full control in a much more flexible way than we could ever implement.

Paul
pbakker

Postby martinh » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:07 pm

Paul, Harjo,

Thanks for the info.

I see possibilities for both options.
I agree that this way it can be more flexible than Servoy could ever implement it.

Martin
Martin
Servoy Developer
Version 5.2.10/5.2.13
martinh

Postby tgs » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:06 am

I have the same issue in Servoy 5.2.1!
When I shut down a smart client by the Task Manager, because it is not responding any more, the client is still alive in the servoy-admin and I'm not able to shut them down from the servoy-admin site??! Only restarting the Servoy app server clears the clients.
Thomas Schnaus
SAN Developer
yomotec GmbH
tgs

Postby jbader » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:41 pm

Code: Select all
I have the same issue in Servoy 5.2.1!

At present, this pesky bug in 5.1.4 is the *only* reason I would upgrade my solution to 5.2.x. I'm about to embark on that, and I would really hate to upgrade only to find out the issue remains unresolved in 5.2. Can someone from Servoy please confirm the status of this bug?

Thanks
jbader

Postby tgs » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Today I found out that the clients not alive are cleared from the list in servoy-admin as soon as new clients logging in (Servoy 5.2.1)!?
Before I tried to clear the client from admin site. I got the confirmation, but the client was still in the list. He would not go... It's curious, but however this needs not more licenses as logged in I guess.
Thomas Schnaus
SAN Developer
yomotec GmbH
tgs

Postby jcompagner » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:12 am

tgs wrote:I have the same issue in Servoy 5.2.1!
When I shut down a smart client by the Task Manager, because it is not responding any more, the client is still alive in the servoy-admin and I'm not able to shut them down from the servoy-admin site??! Only restarting the Servoy app server clears the clients.

that's not a bug, if you call shutdown, what you really do is tell the server to shutdown that smart client.
So what it does is send a shutdown command, now if we can't reach that client we will try for a while (you never know if this was just a hick up in the connection) and after a few tries we will clean it up.
So yes it will not be gone right away if you press shutdown and the command can't reach the server.

I guess what you want is a "remove" command that really only works pure server side. Where you can say just remove it.
But if you would call that on an client that is alive then that client will generate some errors...
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Previous

Return to Web Development