Web client :Things to keep in mind for changing form HTML ??

Using Servoy to administrate the content of your website? Discuss all webrelated Servoy topics on this forum!

Web client :Things to keep in mind for changing form HTML ??

Postby nestrocuation » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:00 am

Hello ALL ,

Our product was basically designed for smart client and then we moved on to web client but our look and feel is still like smart client and not at like web 2.0 . So i am trying to read some stuffs lately on what all i can do to make it look more modern .

I have used the Alternative webclient CSS in servoy and its a great job thanks a lot .But i still believe i need to change the HTML of each page ,

The question is : Things to keep in mind while changing servoy default form HTML
can i use jquery in each form for tabpanels and other stuffs and is there some restrictions in need to keep in mind while changing HTMl like the servoy IDS .
Also what are the restrcition that i have for css .
and would there be a big diffrence or help if i move from servoy 5.2.9 to servoy 6 .

Please note i am not a designer but trying to be one so your help is very appreciated we are using servoy 5.2.9

Nirav
nestrocuation

Re: Web client :Things to keep in mind for changing form HTM

Postby david » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:19 am

The Servoy wiki has a good article on this subject:

http://wiki.servoy.com/display/public/D ... Web+Client

Some additional personal experience notes: while Servoy's web client is perfect for solving complex workflows, there are a number of issues when you start trying to make the web client behave more like a website:

1- Servoy uses a div section for every object on a form and generates them in the page code in some random order styled with fixed css. This no-flow approach makes it a real pain to post-process the resulting html code client-side with javascript/jquery and add neat client-side UI elements. It also means you have to use Servoy forms as your main design medium instead of familiar website design tools and processes.

2- Handling browser forward/back history navigation intuitively (from a user's perspective) can be a problem.

3- Messy and search engine unfriendly URLs.

4- How to handle page meta data?

So you don't want to be charging into Servoy's web client with the thought that it is the perfect solution for everything!

If you are interested in a hybrid approach where web client apps are a transparent part of a website, keep tabs this week on our Sutra CMS:

https://www.servoyforge.net/projects/sutracms/news

The next release (prepping now) will have a feature that integrates Servoy's web client into the CMS seamlessly. In a nutshell, a Servoy web client form can be assigned to a CMS page. This allows you to do the bulk of your website (design and content) with standard/current web-centric tools and let Servoy's web client do what it does best: implement workflows. The CMS also solves the history, URL and page meta data problems.

Quick demo screen shots:

Picture 5.png
Picture 5.png (52.9 KiB) Viewed 3825 times

Picture 4.png
Picture 4.png (554.45 KiB) Viewed 3825 times

Picture 7.png
Picture 7.png (109.62 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Postby dpearce » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:24 am

Forgive my naïveté, where is the alternative CSS for webclient and how does this improve things. Sound interesting?
dpearce

Postby Harjo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:43 am

Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
Servoy Certified Developer
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby nestrocuation » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:51 pm

David ,Thank you all for reply and your inputs .

About Changing into Servoy's web client with the thought that it is the perfect solution for everything! - I think so know most of the issues with web client we have been using it since one year in production its decent except the look and feel .

About the snap shot that u posted thats basically what i am looking for , means not a CMS but the basic HTMl changes that u have in CMS , means the shadowing effect on the headers and real cool tabs and the hover over - is it possible in servoy with WebDAV.if yes than would appreciate your help .

And yes i always have my eyes on Servoy Forge i love that community , so will be waiting for news on sutra cms .
nestrocuation

Return to Web Development