jQuery Mobile

Using Servoy to administrate the content of your website? Discuss all webrelated Servoy topics on this forum!

Re: jQuery Mobile

Postby ptalbot » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:26 pm

I don't think targeting mobile for more than a few pages of lists and limited interaction is really viable at the moment. I'm not even sure it will ever be. I mean, can you imagine entering complex forms on a small phone touch screen? I must have big fingers but I cringe at the very idea...

Mobile devices, as far as I see it are very much consuming devices, not something you create much input with unless you are 14 years old and type in SMS cryptic code and believe that a tweet is the be and and all of information.

So having a simple IDE that helps creating these pages and limited screens with some easy widgets in a simple way is totally valuable I think. Having to code all this manually with the amount of tweaks this requires for various targets is not something I aspire to do personnaly. So if something like Sencha can ease the pain, and even if it is nowhere near the value of Servoy in terms of coding, why not? Not sure coding is what is needed for mobile sites. Good widgets that translates well on all devices with as little coding as possible is what I'm looking for.

But Servoy is no help in that matter. It is a very good back-end, yes, but in no way a mobile platform right now, this of course can change in the future, although if I were to say something about it, I would say that I kind of fear it as much as I anticipate it.
Smart client possibilities were already tread off for the sake of having something that more or less translates to Web client, I fear that having another kind of client could mean reducing all of them to their least common denominator... A mistake I hope Servoy will not make!
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby david » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:09 am

ptalbot wrote:So having a simple IDE that helps creating these pages and limited screens with some easy widgets in a simple way is totally valuable I think. Having to code all this manually with the amount of tweaks this requires for various targets is not something I aspire to do personnaly. So if something like Sencha can ease the pain, and even if it is nowhere near the value of Servoy in terms of coding, why not? Not sure coding is what is needed for mobile sites. Good widgets that translates well on all devices with as little coding as possible is what I'm looking for.

This is the sweet spot for Architect. Which is about 10% of what Sencha can do and is used for. The tool will get better but currently that 10% line is very easy to get to and cross over and then Architect becomes less useful in a hurry. Just something to be aware of I think.

ptalbot wrote:But Servoy is no help in that matter. It is a very good back-end, yes, but in no way a mobile platform right now, this of course can change in the future, although if I were to say something about it, I would say that I kind of fear it as much as I anticipate it.
Smart client possibilities were already tread off for the sake of having something that more or less translates to Web client, I fear that having another kind of client could mean reducing all of them to their least common denominator... A mistake I hope Servoy will not make!

I thought it was my job to say what everyone is thinking :) Totally agree and couldn't say it better.
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Postby Jan Aleman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:17 am

ptalbot wrote:Smart client possibilities were already tread off for the sake of having something that more or less translates to Web client, I fear that having another kind of client could mean reducing all of them to their least common denominator... A mistake I hope Servoy will not make!

As discussed at ServoyWorld as of 6.1 we have stopped with the least common denominator. In 6.1 we have started introducing some functions that are not possible (or to hard) to implement in smart client but are available in web-client. In Mobile this will continue as the paradigm is very different from desktop applications. So while single codebase is still important you will start to see more client specific features in future versions.

In the next weeks we will organize a 6.1 webinar and after that a webinar to showcase where Servoy Mobile stands at the moment. Keep an eye on the events page.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby ptalbot » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:43 pm

Jan Aleman wrote:In Mobile this will continue as the paradigm is very different from desktop applications. So while single codebase is still important you will start to see more client specific features in future versions.

Good to know, Jan! Thanks for the update on Servoy's vision. It's reassuring.
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:42 am

david wrote: Servoy 6.1 is a huge release with some very cool features and there are no demos or a webinar scheduled to show it off --

We've scheduled a webinar. Paul Bakker, product manager, will be presenting:
https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/233573456
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby david » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:32 am

Great webinar Paul. Came away with some really good tips. We hadn't made the leap to your CSS fallback approach yet nor realized css can style the grid header. Many thanks!
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Postby Gordon McLean » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:09 am

david wrote:Oh we mastered Sencha Architect all right. The issue with it is that it just missing tons of key things. Like not being able to modify code directly for example. I could go on and on....

It covers the simple things that someone new to Sencha would find very helpful. Get past that point and it's just so much easier to hand code your whole project.

In no way can you compare Sencha Architect to Servoy IDE. Maybe in a year or two....

Could not agree more with David, Architect is fine up to a point and you very quickly get to that point. The very fact that they have a button specifically for copying code would imply to me that they expect you to start hand coding early on.
Gordon McLean
Clickdigital.com
Gordon McLean

Postby Kahuna » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:28 am

Jan Aleman wrote:
david wrote: Servoy 6.1 is a huge release with some very cool features and there are no demos or a webinar scheduled to show it off --

Was the webinar recorded? - we were not able to attend.
(Servoy Version: 6.0.7 Win XP / 7 - SQL Server 2008 R2)
Ian Cordingley (Kahuna)
Kahuna

Postby Jan Aleman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Kahuna wrote:
Jan Aleman wrote:

Was the webinar recorded? - we were not able to attend.

Yes, it will be posted in a few days.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Kahuna » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Excellent thanks Jan

Ian
(Servoy Version: 6.0.7 Win XP / 7 - SQL Server 2008 R2)
Ian Cordingley (Kahuna)
Kahuna

Postby Jan Aleman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:02 pm

Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Previous

Return to Web Development