web companion

Using Servoy to administrate the content of your website? Discuss all webrelated Servoy topics on this forum!

web companion

Postby philcoates » Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:20 pm

I have made a number of filemaker based web sites - not perfect by anymeans - but the ability to quickly create a database of items and search over the web using thhe web companion or the web connector is fab. Examples at www.wicfm.co.uk, or www.solutiongroup.co.uk (password soldemo, user name ts21)
The things is - as a know nothing mysql servoy person (but pretty good filemaker person) I want to know how easy I could put together something using servoy and get it on the web - anyone any ideas about servoys web features - is there a nice tutorial/demo? I havnt even got the demo working yet - something about cant connect to local host....
(yes my firewall is off)

phil coates
philcoates

Postby edward » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:34 pm

David Workman - over to you for your case study example!
Regarding your issues with not being able to get the trial version working, can you give us some more details please.

Many thanks
Edward Callaghan
Servoy
edward

Re: web companion

Postby david » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:52 pm

philcoates wrote:I have made a number of filemaker based web sites - not perfect by anymeans - but the ability to quickly create a database of items and search over the web using thhe web companion or the web connector is fab. Examples at www.wicfm.co.uk, or www.solutiongroup.co.uk (password soldemo, user name ts21)
The things is - as a know nothing mysql servoy person (but pretty good filemaker person) I want to know how easy I could put together something using servoy and get it on the web - anyone any ideas about servoys web features - is there a nice tutorial/demo? I havnt even got the demo working yet - something about cant connect to local host....
(yes my firewall is off)

phil coates

Hi Phil,

I agree with you, FM's quick and easy web abilities are "fab." :) Especially ~five years ago when the web companion was first introduced. BTW, nice site designs.

Servoy does not include an integrated HTTP server in the same vein as FileMaker's web companion. FileMaker is a unique product in that it includes the GUI, application, data and web layers into one package. This gives FM its particular advantages and disadvantages.

Servoy is comprised of the GUI and application layers with an option to use its included data layer. This separation of data and logic allows Servoy and a dedicated web authoring environment to access the same data set. A common example would be to store all of your data in MySQL and use PHP for your web interface and Servoy for your client interface. With all the PHP extensions that Dreamweaver MX and GoLive 6 have these days, I would argue that it is now easier to throw up simple PHP pages than it is to use CDML. Then when you use Servoy to easily build a rich client interface to your MySQL data source, "fab" becomes "FAB!" Sorry, too much caffeine already today :lol:

Edward is referring to a case study I have coming out in the new Servoy Magazine in the next few weeks where I outline how all this is done using Lasso Professional 6, MySQL and Servoy. (Lasso also sells a plug-in to Dreamweaver and GoLive that makes generating dynamic pages a snap. Historically very popular with the FM crowd as Lasso and CDML tags share a common ancestry.) In it I try to cover all the details that a FileMaker person is likely to stumble across. The ideas are applicable to most of the middleware products like PHP, ColdFusion, ASP, etc., and any of the myriad database backends you could use. So pick any web authoring environment -- you will find that Servoy will get along with all equally well.

- david

P.S. In regards to installing the demo, it sounds like you're on OS X and you didn't restart after installing. Restarting gets the Firebird service going. Check around the forum for a fix if this is the case. Otherwise, need more info.
david

Return to Web Development