How do you deploy a web based Servoy solution?

Using Servoy to administrate the content of your website? Discuss all webrelated Servoy topics on this forum!

Postby grahamg » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:28 pm

Have a customer with main office in England but MD who spends 6-7 months a year travelling and rest of time operating from home 100 miles from main office. MD needs to access/update Contacts/Products db as he travels with laptop - main office also adding customers & data. They also want to publish some Product info on Web.

What you need is Servoy said I. We can put the databases on a Server and everyone can access via web links - thin client, auto updates, latest data, subset of info on web pages etc etc.

Have demonstrated concept by loading MySQL database onto virtual web server and connecting from my laptop running Servoy Developer.

But there's a missing link that I can't figure. My understanding is that Servoy Server has to be uploaded to the Server - but two ISP's contacted have refused to allow 'uknown' applications like Servoy to operate on their systems.

My belief is that options are:

1 Upgrade ISP from Virtual Server to Dedicated Server
2 Set up dedicated Computer/Server in main office
3 Find an ISP who welcome Servoy

Have read the very useful document by David Workman but wonder how others (particularly dealing with European ISP's) handle this as customer not keen on options 1) & 2).

Thanks in advance

Graham
grahamg

Postby IT2Be » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:12 pm

Graham, I would be able to help you find an ISP...

The company that hosts my server is very willing to set up a server to host servoy applications. The company is Dutch and based in Eindhoven.

The only issue is that he needs something like 5 customers minimum to get this going.
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby grahamg » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:34 pm

Thanks Marcel - will contact you to discuss details.

Would also be interested in any comments on wether I have understood the Servoy deployment concept correctly. In the documentation & these lists deployment seems to be passed over as so obvious that it doesn't need an 'idiots guide'.

I love the fact that Servoy provides the means for me to offer new opportunities to my customers - but I'm moving outside my knowledge/comfort zone. Any guidance is appreciated.

Graham
grahamg

Postby IT2Be » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:37 pm

And that's exactly what it is Graham. Too simple to write much about it. Just check out the web admin pages and you will see how simple it is.
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby Harry Catharell » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:54 am

Is there a 'hit list' of requirements which we would need to quote to an ISP in order to establish common ground and get *any* ISP to allow installation of Servoy server ?

In other words, what information do we have to give to an ISP in order for them to understand what they are taking on if they host Servoy server product ?
Harry Catharell

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:06 pm

An ISP would have to allow you to:

1. Install and run your own software (+open up web and Servoy ports)
OR
2. Allow you to run Java Applications + offer a connection to a SQL database (+open up web and Servoy ports)
OR
3. Offer Servoy hosting

A Dutch ISP is in the process of setting this up (if you're interested in this please contact me by email).

Virtual hosting is also a good option for example Linode.com offers you virtual hosting at reasonable prices.

Additionally you can host on an internal server in your office if you have a reasonable connection speed to the internet (best is to test how acceptable your bandwith is).
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby grahamg » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:25 pm

Thought others might be interested to know that I have found a UK web hosting company that are very happy to host Servoy systems.

They already had some Servoy experience and, with usual great support from Servoy, are now fully operational. Nice people to deal with and flexible enough to allow a 3mth trial so that I can demonstrate systems to clients without long term commitment.

Contact me and I'll be happy to put you in direct contact.

Regards

Graham Greensall
+44-7802 668 222
graham@worxinfo.com
grahamg

Return to Web Development