Preference is OS to host web-deployed Servoy

Using Servoy to administrate the content of your website? Discuss all webrelated Servoy topics on this forum!

Preference is OS to host web-deployed Servoy

Postby tweetie » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:47 pm

are there any reasons to use a Windows or a Linux OS, if you want to use Servoy on the internet.
What are the pro and cons of Windows or Linux.
Personally I dont want anything to do with Linux....coz I dont know how it works.

Furthermore.....If you use Servoy and Sybase on Windows (for internet use)....is it better to use Sybase as a service or as an application.
(Been trying to use it as a service, but didn't get it working already...need to dive into that again)
tweetie

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:30 pm

For Servoy it doesn't really matter. Java is very good on both OS-es which is the main requirement of Servoy. If you are unfamiliar with command line based operating systems you won't like the Linux experience a lot. In both cases I'd make sure the server is behind a firewall as regularly exploits for both operating systems appear. In general command line based servers (linux, solaris, freebsd, mac os x) tend to be more stable and offer easier remote access but you need to learn to use the command line tools.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Return to Web Development