Headless Client Application

Using Servoy to administrate the content of your website? Discuss all webrelated Servoy topics on this forum!

Headless Client Application

Postby idoctor » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:29 am

Example of a simple contact management database fit for a PDA browser can be viewed at 149.142.139.141:8080/1.

Headless client is very cool.

John McCann
idoctor

Headless Client Uses

Postby megaquests » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:10 pm

that does look cool :D

are you using it with PDA's

is it just 2 headless client pages?

what advantages do you find there are over just coding those pages in asp or something similar?

thanks for sharing
megaquests

Postby ROCLASI » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:27 pm

Looks like what Jan Aleman cooked up and showed at the webinar about the Headless Client.
The thing with what Jan did was that the HTML generation wasn't done in JSP but in Servoy itself.
This way he could debug his code much easier.

And to answer megaquests question, it uses only 1 JSP page.
A Servoy method which is called from the JSP page takes care of the rest and returns the appropriate HTML.

Also Jan told us he used it to demo Servoy on a PDA. And surely made a huge impression on clients who saw the sheer speed of the thing.
But I guess Jan could tell you much more about it.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby bcusick » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:46 pm

Hi Guys,

I helped John with the application - and it IS based on the demo that Jan Aleman gave on Tuesday. :D

It's ONE .jsp page - just like Robert says.

The advantage to using the headless client in this particular application is negligible since it doesn't really update or add records. That's where the headless client really shines - because it will "broadcast" all changes/additions/deletions to all LAN-based clients as if that change were done on the LAN versus the web.
Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby idoctor » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:23 pm

I didn't mean to even give the appearance of taking credit for somebodies elses work. I thought it was public knowledge that you could do this and putting it on the forum got a nice discussion going so more can take advantage of the technology.

I participate in the forum as an example of a knowledge worker who developed a nice application with Servoy. Not as an expert programmer. One thing I do is push Servoy to keep making this stuff easier so guys like me don't have to learn what a JSP page is.

If I post any more example that use advanced technology, rest assured that 1) Somebody else wrote it 2) I'll be begging Servoy to make it easier so not expert programmers like myself can continue to develop cool applications with Servoy without ever understanding exactly what a .jsp page is.

John McCann
idoctor

Postby Bert » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:01 am

idoctor wrote:... 2) I'll be begging Servoy to make it easier so not expert programmers like myself can continue to develop cool applications with Servoy without ever understanding exactly what a .jsp page is.

That's why we'll get Instant Publishing
Bert de Graaff
ATB Software Servoy Developer manage your business anywhere
Bert

Return to Web Development