Suitablility of Servoy for my project

Using Servoy to administrate the content of your website? Discuss all webrelated Servoy topics on this forum!

Suitablility of Servoy for my project

Postby firestorm » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:48 pm

I am looking at taking a Hypercard based medical office software package and transforming it into a web based application. It will be doing patient data, accounting, appointment books, etc. Offices will be in it all day every day. It will be cross platform but served from Mac OSX servers. It will probably use FrontBase as the backend. Stability willl be paramount.

Can Servoy do this and more importantly can it do it well? I have looked at FileMaker Pro 7 and Omnis. Neither looks right from that last criteria. FM is just not robust enough and Omnis looks like it's web capabilities are just not stable enough. I will have little control over the client's hardware. I can stipulate certain system reqs., but that is about it.

I have been looking over the forum and have seen comments about Mac clients. Are Mac clients going to have performance issues using a web app developed in Servoy?

Omnis told me it would be perfect for my project. Developers informed me othewise, so I am very interested in your responses.

John D. Gosselink
Wind & Fire Development
firestorm

Postby grahamg » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:47 pm

Hi John & welcome to Servoy.

To answer your questions.

In my experience Servoy/SQL is very stable - have yet to experience any data corruption despite numerous stupid mistakes/experiments during development. Setting up hosted systems then deploying to numerous clients is very easy and we are just about to roll out a system for the UK Health Service. Client computer specs are not demanding - I use a six year old laptop for testing.

Mac/Java is not as fast as XP/Java so your Mac clients will run a little slower. However it's usually developers who complain since we see the difference - I have not had a user complaint.

Lots of experience in this forum & Servoy Magazine http://www.servoymagazine.com/ to get you started.

Regards

Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
grahamg

Postby firestorm » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:37 pm

How is response time from telling the client to do something (click on a button for instance) and having the result. Is redraw or anything slow?
John D. Gosselink
Wind & Fire Development
firestorm

Postby Harry Catharell » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:04 pm

Hi John,

I've done some cooperative work with Graham and he has a test server set up at his home office and hosted over the internet via an ADSL data line.

We have opened his hosted solutions using WiFi connections at remote locations and the data delivery/response times are fantastic.

Cheers
Harry
Harry Catharell

Postby grahamg » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:07 pm

Generally speaking the first time you load a form it can take 5-10seconds onOSX clients which is about twice time on XP - but after that it is either instant or 1-2 secs.

'Round-trip' from one client updating a form to results being pushed by Server and seen by another client is generally just a few seconds - customers are always amazed at the combination of the rich Servoy interface and functionality plus web-like response.

Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
grahamg

Return to Web Development