Need Some Clarification on Licensing

Using Servoy to administrate the content of your website? Discuss all webrelated Servoy topics on this forum!

Need Some Clarification on Licensing

Postby chartpacs » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:43 pm

Hello,

I might be involved with a project that's a port of a FileMaker application. One of the features I'm considering adding is the ability to design a web-based survey, where the information would be directly deposited into the back-end db. The survey is currently hosted on a third-party website, and the results are accessible via a CSV file, which must be dowloaded, then converted to Excel in order to do some additional manipulation, and then finally imported into FileMaker. Cumbersome IMO.

Afte reading the following informative thread:
http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=4905

I'm still confused about the licensing scheme. The survey is rather long (around 100 questions -- it's a health application), and it's hard for me to judge the number of concurrent users, because there will be "spikes" (batches of emails containing links to the survey will be periodically sent). Can I instead take advantage of "application binding" in this particular instance?
Regards,
Servoy Developer
Version 3.1 beta2-build 401
Java version 1.5.0_06-64, Mac OS X 10.4.8
chartpacs

Postby ROCLASI » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:11 pm

Hi Sean,

For a websurvey that would mean that you only need to serve up a web form and x minutes later it has to process this data into a new record.
So there is hardly any load on the headless-client.
So an application bound headless client should work quite nicely. All requests are handled sequentially so for heavy usage spikes you might want to have a speedy server depending on how heavy the solution is.

By the way I've created a websurvey solution that allows users to create forms. Then a Lasso page will create that form on the fly from that meta data and handles the data entered to validate and store in the database for the Servoy solution to be analyzed.
In fact I am using it for the Naming Conventions survey.
The solution itself is still beta though.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby chartpacs » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:21 pm

Hi Robert,

Your survey solution sounds great. I was thinking of a similar thing, but I wanted to first start playing with the web client. In my case the survey will get a little complicated in that there will be two portals--one to list all the dependent info (spouse, children), and another to list all of the medical conditions in the family.

By the way, I responded to your survey. Thanks for doing that.
Regards,
Servoy Developer
chartpacs

Postby chartpacs » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:09 pm

If I'm using the Instant Web Publishing feature of Servoy, then I don't even have the option of binding to the application, right? That's only available through the headless client, which means more programming (jsp)? If so, then I really wish Servoy would consider charging a flat fee for connecting via the Web, like FileMaker does, but that may not be economically viable.

There's an interesting thread here:
http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=4905

Here's my concern: I'm most likely going to be hired to do this FileMaker port, as mentioned in my first post. I have to make the client aware of all of the licensing costs, and I suppose I'll have to work with the client to estimate the maximum number of simultaneous people accessing the survey. It's just that I don't want to recommend too many. Hmmmm...maybe I'll email Yvo Boom and get his feedback.
Regards,
Servoy Developer
chartpacs

Return to Web Development